Stupid kickstart

ChopperRobb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok, so screw it, i guess i'll do another post.
my kickstart...ive installed it correctly, the motor spins by hand, but the kickstart will not make it spin at all...i can see the gear interact with the gear on the crank but it will not spin. what have i done wrong???

ok, so i'm a dummy (sometimes)...anywho, i've got it working. (should i admit what it was??....yeah, why not?)
so my "not-working" kickstart was me not really knowing what it felt like to spin the motor, since i received it as a basket case. and now that i've rebuilt it after having it bored and headwork done, its a strange thing indeed to kick it over with solid compression and whatnot...just had to give her a good solid shove or two....(she's never spun before like that)

ok, so i'm a dummy (sometimes)...anywho, i've got it working. (should i admit what it was??....yeah, why not?)
so my "not-working" kickstart was me not really knowing what it felt like to spin the motor, since i received it as a basket case. and now that i've rebuilt it after having it bored and headwork done, its a strange thing indeed to kick it over with solid compression and whatnot...just had to give her a good solid shove or two....(she's never spun before like that)

well in your favour is the fact that we rarely kick our engines over with no spark plugs fitted :)
Hopefully there will be a lot more compression when its finished being built ;)

well, i guess i should clarify at this point lol...compression was a wrong choice of word...resisitance is what i mean to say...at first, it seemed like the kicker wouldn’t spin the motor ‘round (around), and when i got the basket case the motor wasnt together so i’d never had any experience with how it felt to try and spin the motor by hand using the kicker. It also seemed i could spin the motor by hand by turning the pma rotor easier than i could by using the kicker by hand. Anywho, all is right in the world now. haha

Plugs can increase your compression by 150 lbs. Everybody should use them. Not optional,as far as I'm concerned.
well there is always this low compression option :)
800px-Draisine1817.jpg

Back