stupid regulator wiring mistake

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
just finished doing the dual bridge rectifier, VR115 regulator swap on my 78SE. When I turned the ignition on and started the bike the brake/tail warning light illuminated but I didn't
notice and took the bike to the end of the block and back. Then I noticed the warning.
After a consultation with "retiredgentleman" I began checking all my wiring and discovered
that I had managed to connect the generator lead (green) to the regulator ground(black) and of course the regulator green lead to the harness ground (black). (gotta stop drinking
when I wrench)

Fixed the screw up but the warning light remains on. Have I cooked the VR115?

roy:banghead:

I don't know about the VR115 but on my R292Z if you hook the brown and green wrong it fries it instantly. It's under warranty right? take it back and they should give you a new one.
How that effects yor warning light I can't guess.
Did youcheck battery voltage after you hooked it up right. Get 12-13 volts at idle and 14.5 at 2000 rpm and no more than 14.5 at 5000 rpm If that checks out ok then your reg is fine.
Could be the tail light/brake light blew out, might want to check that.
Oh and bumping after a bit over two hours is a bit impatient isn't it. Some of us have lives, we can't all set around just waiting for someone to post a question. Sometimes it can take a few days to get a responce.
Chill brother.
Leo

Back