Sturgis

It used to be a nice two day ride. Now there are so many RVs hauling bikes, its down right annoying having to pass them all.
WE quit going a few years back, and settle for the local gatherings, that are not Harley events.

I have never been so I'm going to go check it out. I want to go to the bike show that the Horse mag is putting on there monday. Hopping to see something besides HD's at the show.

I'm headed that way and want to avoid it. When's it over? LOL

Well I take it that it's not very well liked here. Lol. I understand for sure. Lol I pretty much love everything on two wheels but that sure don't mean I'm going to run out and get one. Lol but I sure will run out and look at them no matter what they are..

We happened to book motorcycle trip two weeks before. thats the time to go, some cool bikes, nice people...not too over crowded. When it was getting busy before we left....to much slow moving trash on the nice FAST, twisty roads. don't wanna follow 10,000 electra pigs that can't corner faster than 10km/h when i am on a bike that wants to go go go on some of the best roads around.

i was on a road trip in the old chevy blazer in 2006, touring the country for the hell of it, and we happened to go through sturgis a week before the rally, i could not believe how busy it was then, i can't imagine it during the actual rally.

i don't think i'd put my air cooled yamaha through that sort of traffic related torture.

I love Sturgis. First one in 87' and many since, 8 I think. The Black Hills are super as is the Rally. No one group of anything owns it and the only ones with a legimate claim anyway are the Sioux.
Take an attitude with you....you'll get one back. Forget the nonsense, have a great ride and a super time sure. Don't miss the Navajo Taco's, Fresh Corn on the cob, turkey legs. Music, parties, rides & fun. Don't mess with colors, 1%'ers or the fuzz, be legal and don't ride
blasted....you'll be fine. There are tons of cops...at what other job can you get paid with expenses for going to the greatest rally in the world an walk about for pay?

Lots of bikes on the road to there already (comin by here from California and points west & south). Wish I was one of em again!

I liked going early best as well but; unless you've left already it's too late for that. Blue

Last edited:
On the suggestion side....make sure you're set up and used to camping, forget about getting a room within 200 miles at this date. Try to hook up with someone who's been there before. The crowds and density are difficult but not so bad if you know where you
want to go, where it is and the best way to get there.....helps a great deal to have someone in the lead with the lay of it all. Keep your riding groups small cause you'll get broken up a lot (3-6) bikes works well. Get out of town often.....Deadwood, Rapid City, Belle Fouche, Rushmore, Devils Tower etc. Remember...."Going to Sturgis" really means the Black Hills. The better you're set up for camping the better the trip.

"It's only the most popular rally in the World McNabb"......has been for many years since the "Jackpine Gypsies Days"

Few surprises: you'll see lot's of bikes that aren't H-D's....BMW holds their rally there the preceding week and more and more.....The Senior Citizens Breakfast Feed in the Community Center....Top Shelf Grub Value....Black Hills Gold.

Few who go rap it....http://www.sturgis.com/ Let us know how you felt about it all. Blue

I always stayed at "Eagles Landing" on the west end of Sturgis just off the freeway to the North. Got to meet the family the first year they opened it and becames friends through the years. Great bunch who decided to try to supplement their farming income with a home spun campground. Came to love the place and always got the same big old umbrella scrub oak between Hay fields. (Always went early and caught the first weekend and was back on the road by Wednesday) Lots of memories there. Made two cross country RT's from upstate New York and then a bunch from Utah after that. Blue

http://www.campsturgis.com/

Last edited:
I went in 2004 and had a great time, staying 6 nights in a federal campground below Hill City and left the Saturday before the official rally began. Took my stock 650 in the back of the truck and pulled a small camper. Went back in 2005, with the same truck & camper set-up and stayed 13 days at Glencoe. Took the 650 with the duo-glide rear section, and got to ride up to Belle Fouche and through Spearfish Canyon before the rotor started shorting out and blowing fuses. Haven't been back since. Considering going next year, but trying the middle of the week when the hordes start leaving to go home on Wednesday. Glencoe was handy as Thunder Road was within walking distance as well as the Full Throttle across the road. But Glencoe was expensive, one price, if you stayed one night or 2 weeks, $150 each and $400 for the camper. Its a 2 day trip from where I live.

Last edited:
Blue is the campground close to everything so we could walk?

I'd say "close" but; not really, probably 2-3 miles, hot side of the dirt road stuff. I understand from the Eagles Landing site that they run a shuttle now but I have'nt been there since 99'. Did everything on a bike to, from & there on a bike. Kind of hard to picture the scene but try this......

Any little rural town you know of with 1 to 2 thousand residents?. Picture it, now plop 300,000 people there on motorcycles for 2 weeks plus....

Pure Pork's got it.... check with lot's of folks, get as good a picture as you can but;

Eagles Landing would be just off this map, extreme upper left.....

http://www.rallyinfo.com/images/sturgis_downtowndetail.gif

You still will not believe it!.......Blue

Last edited:
Well blue I'm not takin a bike this time wish I could but just not going to be able to this round but plan on having a great time

Im going but I'll be on the Sportster, the XS is still in progress. It'll be my first time. I'm wanting to stop by The Horse show at the Full Throttle. I think my father is putting his Street Glide in a show at the Full Throttle on Tuesday. Who knows. Not really too concerned about the rally crap. They're all pretty much the same vendors, cheap leathers and t shirts. Really looking forward to riding up there and seeing the sights. Oh and the break from work will be nice.

Back