suggested handlebars replacements

80650xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting my '80 xs back to how it rolled off the showroom floor, but I have heard the stock bars are extremely uncomfortable. I have a set of wide tracker bars on it now which causes me to lean forward and have my arms stretched all the way out. I am looking for something that is taller and swept back. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I will have a givi windshield mounted to them.

Well, just a couple of thoughts. First on the stock special bars, there are those who hate them and those who love them, it really is a matter of personal taste. I recently wrote an article about making a bunch of changes on my bike to try and create a more comfortable riding experience,

http://www.xs650.com/threads/the-ergonomic-experiment.56712/

I swapped out the standard handlebars for a set of early 70’s Gold Wing Replica handlebars, they had the same basic wrist angles as stock but were higher with more pullback. The interesting thing is, I also have a Givi windshield.
79BF2195-BD5D-4FB7-AB56-09ABA8A4E69F.jpeg
40306DC2-9D48-401C-B31D-F1C434FFFBB4.jpeg
E27CF571-D8F4-470D-B1E6-183AF8BDC9CB.jpeg

84071648-2D66-47EE-8BFC-C5802E7AD4AE.jpeg

If you read my article, I speak a lot to the comfort of these bars, but in the end I have gone back to the stockers, because the upright riding position was hurting my lower back on longer rides. As I said before comfort is a very subjective thing.
Good luck with your bike, I hope this helps ( somewhat :laugh2: ) and post some photos of your bike, we’d love to see it!
- Bob

I'm putting my '80 xs back to how it rolled off the showroom floor, but I have heard the stock bars are extremely uncomfortable.
I have an 80SG that I restored back to (mostly) stock.... the Givi windscreen being one change, but I did put the stock "buckhorns" back on 'er. The buckhorns suit the bike very well for me. It boils down to how you ride the bike I suppose. If you like dragging the pegs through canyons... or tearing down potholed dirt roads, they're definitely not the bars to use. There's a strong contingent of "buckhorn nazi'" here that will insist you're going straight to hell for even thinking about using them. :rolleyes:
Pay 'em no mind. If you try them, you might actually agree that they're horrible... or you might like 'em. Only one way to find out... ;)

b.jpg

f.jpg

I'm putting my '80 xs back to how it rolled off the showroom floor, but I have heard the stock bars are extremely uncomfortable. I have a set of wide tracker bars on it now which causes me to lean forward and have my arms stretched all the way out. I am looking for something that is taller and swept back. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I will have a givi windshield mounted to them.

OK, I hate the Special's stock 'bars but there's others that love them.
After several 'bar swaps my bike now has Honda CB750 bars on it.
Those 'bars are just about perfect for me but 'bars is like shoes, you gotta try 'em on to see if they fit.

Back