Suggestions for a tank wanted.

Eckl

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like a low sitting tank (def not frisco style), Sporty is way over done IMO. Wassell is freaking expensive.... the last one I watched on ebay went for $400!!

Some sort of high tunnel peanut tank. Any suggestions where to look or perhaps an old model I am unfamiliar with?

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Hello

I´m not really sure of what you mean since I´m from Sweden and not familair with all words written on this forum but I think you mean a gastank that´s lying "on top" of the frame, right??

Then you should check out this gastank from Comar. I thinks it´s an old moped och 125cc from some Baltic country. I tryied it om my Triumph chopper and it looked really nice.
I could post a picture if you like.
By the way.....i still got it in my garage and it´s in good shape.

/Nils from Sweden

Hmmm... I have seen a Rebel tank used, I will see if I can find the photo. Sits low and is a bit longer tank.

Another tank with a deep tunnel that might work for you is a Lifan 250f/Virago 250/Star 250 tank. I bought one for cheap ($29 on ebay new) a while back to use on a CL350 project. Might be hard to come by/more expensive now.

teebs do you have links to any pics with those tanks? i have a hard time telling which tank is what...
I might switch to a vstar tank that would be cool

This is the same tank, probably a little more expensive with the Star decal: ebay Star 250 tank.

And the bike: Lifan 250f Cobra

Turned the CL around quickly, never took a pic. I'm really bad about documentation. Like most artists, I have an aversion to anything remotely resembling organization. The only reason I have pics of the XS build is because I have plans to do a travel book and my girlfriend helps keep me on point.

It's a nice looking tank, although the petcock and gas cap could be pricey. I don't know because I modified the tank to use a screw-in type cap and standard 3/8" petcock.

Teebs, I've looked at the 250 Virago tank(the same from the Route 66 model to the current V-star) also. Eyeballin it looks to be a fit for 650 frame with the exception of the front mounts being backwards. When you relocated the petcock did you move it backwards?

I laid the tank down on my XS just to see what it would look like and it looked damn good. I didn't move the petcock much for the CL and if I recall correctly, when I had it on the XS, the only other thing that I thought might need to be changed is the seam around the bottom, because it was a little close to the top of the engine, and the tank mounts. I folded the seam over all the way around the tank.

The rear mount sits at a funky angle and is too wide for the XS backbone, being made to be hidden under the seat. It's also big and square. It's pliable enough to be bent into a more suitable position, though you'll crack the paint... better than cooking the tank, if you want to preserve the factory paint. I'd done enough surgery on the tank that replacing the tabs wasn't really an issue.

All that said, you could use it with very minimal work if you were so inclined.

I have a BSA Bantam tank that I'm probably going to use on one of my projects. They're not that easy to come by though. It's got a deep tunnel and more of an oval shape instead of a tear-drop shape. The tunnel is deep but not wide so I'll either have to change the gusseting on the frame at the neck, or re-tunnel the tank to make it work. I think it'll look good though.

A guy near me has a dropseat hardtail with a honda dream tank that looks sick .... ( I believe it is or is very similar to one of the first couple pics in the babes and xs thread) the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet is I don't want to bite his style but siiiiick looking imho

This was an old harley tank I ran awhile that was pretty cool but I never figured out what model it was from...something in the 60's based on the petcock.

Attachments

• xs650 001.jpg
    xs650 001.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 127
  • xs650 003.jpg
    xs650 003.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 149
Back