Suggestions on tires?

sou1f1y33

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to get some new tires and would prefer whitewalls but I don't see many options. I bought Shinko 777 130/90/16 and the rear tire is hitting the brake stay bar and swing arm. If you have any suggestions that would fit a 79 special cruiser that would be greatly appreciated.

The 130/90-16 is the stock size tire on the Specials. If it is rubbing on anything, first check to see if it is straight in the swing arm.
The brake stay is bent to clear the tire. If it was ever off, then it might have been put back on wrong.
Leo

Thanks Leo, I will double check those. I know my brake stay is almost a straight rod with no indentation for clearance. I talked to a Shinko rep and he said he has only heard of this issue with the xs special and 04 sportster. The Shinko tire is 6 inches wide and most other I checked were under 5.5 inches wide. Hopefully this will be a warranty issue. If not I have a big paper weight.

Yeah, double check it, I'm running a 130/90-16 Pirelli on my 78 Special without clearance issues. It just clears the chain guard, has about 1/4" clearance on the swingarm even more on the brake stay arm

Thanks Leo, I will double check those. I know my brake stay is almost a straight rod with no indentation for clearance. I talked to a Shinko rep and he said he has only heard of this issue with the xs special and 04 sportster. The Shinko tire is 6 inches wide and most other I checked were under 5.5 inches wide. Hopefully this will be a warranty issue. If not I have a big paper weight.

A 130 tire should only be a 5 inch tire. Heck, it takes a 150 to get to 6 inches.

OK, tire is straight but I noticed the brake stay bar has no indentation or bend, it is just a straight hollow bar. If I take the off, heat it up and hammer an indentation into it that should clear me on the bar. There is a small amount of space between the tire and swingarm but only about an 1/8 of an inch. Would that be enough clearance or is that too tight? The chain is adjusted properly and sprockets look good (only 4k on bike). Would I be better off getting a chain that is 1 link longer to move the tire back?

Tire is just over 5.5 inches inflated on the mag wheels

Last edited:
It appears someone has put the Standard style brake stay on your bike. The one for a Special should have a dimple like so .....

SpecialTorqueArm.jpg

It's not bent, just dimpled towards the front and the front mount is offset. Actually, the front mount is offset on all of them. If yours doesn't have that, it may not even be a 650 part.

That seems to be the problem then. The bar must be the wrong one. Do you think if I made an indentation on the bar I have on that that would be ok? Or would I be better off finding a new part? Also, do you think 1/8 inch of clearance on the swingarm is ok or should I swap the chain to a link larger and move the tire back? Thank you.

Back