Sump filter gasket

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a gasket between the sump filter and the plate? I'm changing mine (to one WITHOUT a hole in it) and the old one did not have a gasket, nor do I see one in any of the schematics I've found, nor is there one in my gasket set. Never seen anything like this in an automotive application that DIDN'T use a gasket.

Any gap at that surface is smaller than the holes in the screen the only thing that would get through is oil. +2 No need for a gasket

Oil flows into the "filter" down into the sump plate, over and up into the lower case. Over into the right side cover, then up to the oil pump.
Here's a pic of the flow in the engine and tranny.

Attachments

• xsengine oil flow.jpg
    xsengine oil flow.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 128
Oil flows into the "filter" down into the sump plate, over and up into the lower case. Over into the right side cover, then up to the oil pump.
Here's a pic of the flow in the engine and tranny.

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks!

That pic doesn't show everything. There is an oil gallery across the front of the engine that has ports to spray oil onto the rod big ends.
There are also passages to oil the crank bearings.
As the oil leaves the crank bearings it gets thrown up into the bottom of the pistons to lube the wrist pin. The crank runs in the oil, this throws oil all over and helps lube the wrist pins. The oil thrown up into the bottom of the pistons cools the pistons as well as lubes the pins.
The oil to the tranny pumps oil through the 4 shaft bearings as well as the shift fork shaft to lube the shift forks.
The gears run in oil, this splashes oil all over inside the tranny. This lubes the gears and the shafts as well as throws oil up onto the shift drum.
The oil splash would probably be more than enough oil. Oil being pumped through the bearings and shift forks helps keep the parts lubed as well as cool.
The oil flow to the head is fed into the inside of the rocker arm shafts. This lubes the shafts and the rocker arms. In the rocker arms have ports to spray oil at the valve stem to lube the end of the valve stem where the rocker arm touches the valve stem.
Then drains back into the sump through the cam chain tunnel. This oil draining back and what gets thrown by the crank lube the cam chain.
Leo

Because no one actually said it, that area has suction not pressure, and it is surrounded by the oil in the sump oil would leak IN through any gap, not out. The oil pump pulls oil in through the sump filter. :bike:

Because no one actually said it, that area has suction not pressure, and it is surrounded by the oil in the sump oil would leak IN through any gap, not out. The oil pump pulls oil in through the sump filter. :bike:

Thanks Gary....I had trouble understanding this system too,until I quit thinking of this sump system as a "filter"....which it's really not. At best, it's an oil sump suck "strainer" with magnets. Unfortunately, the next unit which is under oil pressure and which I thought must be 'the filter'... isn't a real filter either. In fact stock OEM there isn't, what most of us have come to think of being, a FILTER :umm:on our XS 650's. Seems to me.

I'm not sure what that next unit in the pressure side should really be called, maybe centrifugal
crud separator? Blue

Last edited:
Back