Sump questions

BajaKiter

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I got her running today for the first time in years! So I dumped the oil, changed the filter, and now Im into the sump... I really should have ignored it and just gone for a ride :oops:
Because now ive found the broken gasket, covered in the PO's silicon--- It was causing the cover to leak... The problem is...
Its a beautiful day and I need a ride... And I don't have another sump cover gasket
Can I make one from paper? I've already decided I'm not paying $40 for a filter as Sh%^&y as the original, when I already have a beer can and JB weld...
So it would look real nice next to it... what do you think?
cut out a cereal box with THIN coats of 1194 liquid gasket on both sides? I have the supplies here

I'd use sheet gasket material from the auto parts store and NO GASKET SEALER. Just oil the new gasket. You must get the cover and the sealing surface on the bottom of the engine absolutely spotless if you want things to seal up. It's a bit of an ordeal the first time around but then it will remain relatively clean as long as you oil the gasket and use no sealer. Several applications of paint stripper will remove all remnants of the old gasket and sealer.

Hi Baja,
if you wait on 9226356's generous offer you can't go riding until after the package is delivered and you want to go riding right effin' now!
I'd say the JB-weld/beercan sump fix is a well-proven procedure and can be done right away.
As can the cereal box sump gasket fix.
Negatory gasket cement, simply grease the gasket both sides and like 5T sez, surfaces must be squeaky clean.
And seriously under-torque the sump bolts, they are designed to snap off before the crankcase threads strip out if the bolts are over-tightened.

Also while cover is off check it real close to see if the PO warped it by over tightening it trying to stop the leak.

I've decided the rubberized paper gasket material you get at the parts store is too thin. It works but it's too breaky to reuse. Next time I'm going to glue two pieces of it together with contact cement and cut the gasket from that.

Back