Super LED signal lights

A5HLEY

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't want anything ruining the clean look of my bobber...so I elected to rig up some waterproof led rope lights. What do you think? They are just mocked up for the pic. The rears will be a little shorter when finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 388
What are you going to do for the front?
No offense, but since you asked, I do not like the lights in your mock-up.
I would suggest that you browse through how they do signal lights on:
http://bratstyle.com/
Signal lights are required by law in Japan. To keep the looks clean, bratstyle generally uses bullet lights, and mounts them low and tight, and it looks pretty cool. Just my two cents.
One example:
http://bratstyle.com/complete/SRchopper/RIMG30362.jpg
You can find very small bullet lights.
If your goal is maximum visibility, keep what you mocked up.

You are asking for opinions, here's mine. You already mucked up the looks of your bike by "bobbering" it.
Adding those rope lights makes it even look worse.
Leo

^Hater! haha I like the idea, but idk if i'd run such a large strip. I like the idea for the turn signals though

I quite like the idea myself although when you say a little shorter I'd be thinking alot shorter! I'd go with it and see how it turns out, after all if you don't like them they can always come off ;)

You are asking for opinions, here's mine. You already mucked up the looks of your bike by "bobbering" it.
Adding those rope lights makes it even look worse.
Leo

Ouch! Coooold Blooooded.... haha!!

Hey Ashley I don't think it looks all that bad..I'm rlly curious of how the would look lit up.... I bet they would look rlly good if you tried to find a way to hide them a lil bit so it would be hard to see them when they are not on. Please post it up here if you choose to keep em.

Thanks everyone for their opinion, good or bad! That's what makes this site and customizing so great.....it's all personal taste. XSLeo, i wouldnt be caught dead driving a stocker. In fact, I've never even driven a cruiser. I'm likely a bit younger than you and have only ever had brand new sportbikes and full motocross dirtbikes. The second I got my XS, I took the angle grinder to it. I started it for 5 mins and didnt so much as drive it out of my driveway.

My first thought seeing this is to take the same tube as the frame and cut it half. Polish the middle and use it as a sleeve to cover the lights and it "should" give you a real unique back-lit effect.

I think its an interesting idea, but it does stand out a bit and mess with the cleanliness compared to just a tube with nothing on it... IMO it would look much cleaner with just a small bullet style indicator down near the axle, but it could look good if done right, I recon get everything else on the bike sorted, seat mounted etc then start playing around with it.

I say cut them about 4" long and mount them near the bottom of that same tube more towards the dropouts. They'd be low and tight which would hardly be noticeable until lit. I might be using this idea for my front lights. I can't find a way to mount bullet lights up front and still look clean, even that brat bike's front lights look like crap in my opinion and they probably wouldn't pass inspection here in MA anyway.

I say cut them about 4" long and mount them near the bottom of that same tube more towards the dropouts. They'd be low and tight which would hardly be noticeable until lit. I might be using this idea for my front lights. I can't find a way to mount bullet lights up front and still look clean, even that brat bike's front lights look like crap in my opinion and they probably wouldn't pass inspection here in MA anyway.

Just remember to buy a $13 led flasher from superbrightleds (or equivalent) they don't require any load to operate so they flash normally without the need for inline resistors.

Are drivers behind you going to think these are a real turn signal or just something flashy on the bike?

I had mocked up pretty much the same thing on my bobber BUT wouldnt draw enough juice to trip the flasher relay. Good luck, those are pretty bright when they light up.

In the end, I went a different direction and used conventional led single filament bullet style lights. I added the custom dynamics module to allow the lights to have three functions, run/brake/turn. I'm very pleased with the result! I used the small bullet lights from JP Cycle and they light up VERY bright when braking/ turning.

Attachments

• Bike finished (2).jpg
    Bike finished (2).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Bike finished (1).jpg
    Bike finished (1).jpg
    197 KB · Views: 154
  • Mini led bullets.jpg
    Mini led bullets.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 141
Back