Surface Rust Prevention?

20ftollie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I live close to the ocean and don't have a garage, just a covered car port. I cover my bike with a heavy duty nylon bike cover every minute I'm not riding it but it still is starting to develop some surface rust on the chrome and other random metal parts. Is there any way to prevent this other than storing the bike indoors? Also, any suggestions as to what can I do to remove the rust that's already started to show up? Thanks.

I live close to the ocean and don't have a garage, just a covered car port. I cover my bike with a heavy duty nylon bike cover every minute I'm not riding it but it still is starting to develop some surface rust on the chrome and other random metal parts. Is there any way to prevent this other than storing the bike indoors? Also, any suggestions as to what can I do to remove the rust that's already started to show up? Thanks.

I have used jiff, (Soft liquid cleaning agent for kitchens and bathrooms), with water and a soft cloth on chrome without scratching.

I also live by the ocean and use a product made from sheep's wool, (lanolin). It is a wet start degreaser and exellent for rust prevention. Can also use it with a soft cloth and a good hard rub to remove those small rust spots on chrome. I use it all the time and it works.

A couple of links to show what it does. Youtube

Site

You will have to do the research to find out if/where it sells in the US.

Neverdull, good thing to remove light rust and it polishes it up to help prevent rust.
I have seen portable Tents/garages that you drive the bike into, zip shut, flip the switch and it inflates to seal the bike in. It keeps fresh dry air blowing through to help prevent rust. Google them.
Leo

Back