Suspected gearbox bearings?? or what else??

74-Chop

Gall pechod maur thu-fod trooy throos buh-chan
Reaction score
This motor has been the most troublesome ive ever owned and now today i heard a Pop, and then oil all over the floor, I suspected it was the push rod oil seal Because i didnt think i inserted it correctly but upon closer inspection it appears to actually be the Gearbox shaft that has moved inwards! and come away from the seal, i do not have up and down movement but i have in and out movement which i know cant be good lol,
gear 2.png
gear.jpg

That output shaft will naturally float in/out until the spacer, sprocket, and nut are affixed. They pull and hold that shaft's inner shoulder against the bearing's race.

Edit: If you fired-up the engine without the sprocket, then, yes, that shaft will float a bit, possibly allowing adjacent gearing in there to catch each other...

cheers for the quick response, so whats the verdict? Possible gearbox problems, if the gears have caught? really dont fancy stripping it down it had a full engine rebuild less than 3 months ago and has done 0 miles since,

Yes i did fire it up without the sprocket off which i guess is my own stupidity,

At the moment the shaft has gone that far in that it just pisses out the seal, i mean like pours out! lost a litre in about 3 seconds

Putting the sproket on wont fix anything cuz the shaft has still gone too far in, its a strip down Job isnt it?

The seal isn't shaped for the splines............its a bitch area and when the sprocket is installed with the backing washer it will add pressure to the rubber seal to stop leaks............for some reason the front sprocket can loosen on its own after tightening to spec, (even with the tab washer still intact), creating an oil leak.

My concern/question is where is all the metal shavings coming from...........

Ok I understand everything that you are saying here I really do so thank youfor your answers. But if you compare this picture I'm adding now to mine, The metal ring around the gear shaft Iitself on mine has sank in.

If you look at this picture the metal ring which looks like a bbearing race Iis actually at the front creating the seal . So I'mstill guessing Iit'sa strip down job because my Bearing race ( metal ring ) has sank bbackwards beyond the seal. Am I making sense?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-16-23-48-55.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-16-23-48-55.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 90
Are you saying your metal ring goes all the way in past the seal? Is the seal about flush with the case? Are you sure you have the right parts -- e.g. it used to work ok?

I might have put you a bit crook on the washer, i was thinking about behind the clutch.............here is the fish file for the gearbox. that metal spacer you say is pushed in may come back out as per 2manys explanation, you can see where it rests against the shoulder on the gear box shaft.............Part no 26.
xs650c-parts-list 039.jpg

You didn't answer my question in my previous post, and that could be the most important issue, (in my opinion), as to weather the engine has to be taken apart again

The spacer sleeve, part #26 in 650skull's pic, cannot slide inboard. It bears against the bearing's inner race. Your pic looks like the spacer sleeve is simply missing. It may have simply slipped off, dropped, and ran off with the missing sock from last week...

Thank you all for your help guys Really appreciate the Input. And thank you two many XS you were correct there was a part missing but I do not see how it never leaked before lol. Oh well. Thanks again. Felt like a complete nonse then

Back