Suzuki 19" spoke wheel w/ disc as a rear wheel on an XS650?

derekstudt

derekstudt
Reaction score
I did some some searching in the wheel section, and didn't run across an answer to this...

I've seen quite a few threads talking about swapping a 16" rear wheel for an 18", but is it feasible to swap a 16" for a 19" wheel?

I've currently got mags running disc brakes in both the front and rear. I'd love to swap them out for spokes on my cafe project. I know I can't get a 16" rear with disc, at least not a stock Yamaha rim.

I've got 2 19" spoke rims with disc on the right side from a Suzuki GT550 and am hoping to use the Yamaha caliper. Can anyone tell me if this is a possible swap? Other than likely needing to fab up a bracket for the caliper and a spacer(s) to make to make it all line up on the axel, is there anything else I'd need to consider?

I'm in no rush to do this before the winter, as I've got two tires with less than 500 miles on the mag wheels currently. I've been cleaning up some parts in the garage to sell, and I as I was cleaning the Suzuki rims, the idea popped into my head. If I'm crazy for thinking this can be done, someone please tell me.

there ya go , not exactly a how to or illustrated instructions but the details are simple . The cb200 disc needs to be reduced by .200" in diameter . Spacers will be fun and seals came from the Honda progressive o-ring and seal pages (you will need a savvy Honda dealer for this ) the axle bearings will have to be changed to match the XS axle. The rim will have to be pulled to the left about .280" As stated it began with a '70's KZ 750B (twin) hub spokes and wheel .The sprocket is KZ 650 4 Cylinder and even though the bolt circle diameter is the same I remember the hub needing to be reduced just a little bit to fit the inside of the sprocket .
The disc brake swing arm , the carrier , the caliper , the adjusters , the axle and the pads are unmodified 2F0 parts .

~kop

Attachments

• 915081204.jpg
    915081204.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG-0402.JPG
    IMG-0402.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 148
  • img-0371.jpg
    img-0371.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 161
Thanks Kopcicle!

I'm definitely going to do this after I tackle some other things first.

I'll be sure to update this thread so everyone can see how it turned out.

Back