Swapped motors and now bike wont start.

gumby

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Here is the condensed version of my story. Also this is my first bike I've really done any repairs on my own.

Bought a bike 1980 special
It ran
Found out that the right intake valve was jammed shut
got a motor from 77 I think VIN starts with 447
Swapped engines
Left the points on but swapped the stator/alternator for ignition and hooked it up
Battery has 13 volts
fuses look good
Try to start bike first time and alternator spins less every time I press the ignition button and I hear a clicking from the seat area.
Got a few thumps from the engine when I tried the kick start but it wasn't working for me either.
I'm so confused.
Plugs look good by the way.

Also I took the bike out of neutral to try something different and now it won't go back to neutral. Clutch lever feels super sloppy so I'm assuming I just need to adjust that. I'm more concerned with just getting it to start. Thanks and any insight would be great.:banghead::confused:

Did you see the '77 engine run before you installed it?

On finding neutral....put the bike up on the service stand and shift it by hand while testing the rear wheel to see if you're in gear or neutral.

Assuming you're using the magnet embedded rotor from the '80.
Charge the battery back up. The clicking could be from the starter solenoid.
Back to basics..air, fuel, spark and timing...check your valve settings and the timing.

Replace the original fuse panel (glass fuses) with automotive blade type fuse holders.

Charge the battery on the bench for about 8 hours ( use 1.5 to 2 amps). Take the battery to a store that sells batteries, and have it load tested.

you did change the charging rotor over didn't you? the charging rotor has a magnet in it to trigger the ign pick up on the 80's ign.system

Back