Swingarm Brace vs Crossover tube?

Four years later... My original XS2 muffs vibrated themselves apart on the inside, back in78. Bought some used Special muffs, from a Special. I then said to myself, " I don't need no stinking cross-over!" So I cut them off and welded a plate over the holes. After molding 2 SS rear brackets, I installed them and thought, "Brilliant, I can't see my crappy spaghetti welds!" It started right up. And ran like sh!t! Took my widest and longest drill bit and drilled out some plug in there. Still ran like sh!t, only a little louder. Well, as someone so wisely mentioned, cap them off in such a way that you can re-install them if nessa.

Well, I managed to weld them back on, and again I said, "Brilliant, I still can't see my crappy spaghetti welds!" It ran great, a little louder, but not a great sound, but OK, for about 30K miles until the left pipe, not the cross-over snapped in half doing ~75 on I85. I then installed my original headers and put on shorty megs. I like the sound and the look and the price.

Moral of the story: 1. The "Special" mufflers definitely need a cross-over. 2. I believe as many of you do, that the cross-over doubles the flow, while maintaining muffler tone.

How much do you want for that swingarm?

Moral of the story: 1. The "Special" mufflers definitely need a cross-over. 2. I believe as many of you do, that the cross-over doubles the flow, while maintaining muffler tone.
My Special has two disks in the muffler, blocking the straight through flow. I knocked them open many years ago. I just mounted a replacement exhaust. I intend to knock those disk baffles out as well. It's still quiet enough that way.

Hi Marlin,
I'm with Marty,
i did the ol' pointy bar trick on my '84 Special. ( I used a snapped off Dodge Dart front suspension torsion bar & a BFH)
The mufflerectomy didn't noticeably change the performance but did turn the bike's stock exhaust's wheezy rattle into a healthy Triumphish bellow.

Back