Swingarm stretching Q:

johnpagn

Working on it every day
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of doing my swing arm stretch and running into some issues. :doh:
Well one really. I screwed up and assumed nothing was off set , So I didnt square things up to mark center. Thinking both the pivot point and axle centers lined up. After a day of trying to line everything up I finally figured things out. :banghead:
Squared off at axle center forward to pivot . I think center is off set 1/4 inch to the chain side at the pivot end.
I hope that makes sense.
Can someone confirm this for me ?

Ok , maybe the way I'm asking isn't clear ?

I was hoping someone who's done this ran into the same thing.
If someone who has an extra swing arm and a square in there shop could check .
Find center on the pivot end and mark it. Its some thing like 6" across . Then with the swing arm on a flat surface do the same at the other end or with the axle in mark the center . Now coming square off the axle see if the two center marks line up or by how much they are off set.
I should have done this before I cut mine. Hopefully this will help out others in the future.
I would post pics as I'm sure they'd be helpful , but I seem to have some kind of flue n feel like I'm dieing so no pics today.

John,

I'm not trying to pimp thechopperunderground, especially since the douchebags banned me, lol, but you might want to post this question over there. I have a few uncut swingarms, but they're all in my storage container which is over an hour away, and I won't get over there until after Thanksgiving. Anyway, this question might get a faster response over there, since it's a chopper site. Also, it can't hurt to increase the possible amount of input.

I cut mine and went straight back with both extensions. No problems. I made my own axle spacers so I can't say there wasn't some sort of small shift but it all worked out fine. Check out the link for some info on my mod.

I just went out and measured an '81 that had a drum brake on it. It is even on both sides to within probably 1/32".

Thank u for your responses , My swing arm is from a 78 with disk brake.

TwoJugs , is there a reason u had to use 4 slugs ? I'm trying to use two full length 6 inch slugs with 4 inch sleeves . I thought it would be stronger this way.

You could use 1 piece but I felt it was easier to get the alignment right before welding with the seperate slugs. Since you need to simulate a bend there was some inside and outside grinding done and notches put on the slugs. After doing it I could have used a single piece, the fit is not that tight and there is room to move the outer tubes as needed. I did use DOM tubing. One advantage though is reducing some of the wieght. I originally started to use solid rod but it was really heavy. So far 300 miles and I am watching for any stress cracks, but none. This bike is made for cruising and we have pretty good flat roads with no bad potholes. I thought about an underbrace but I wanted a clean look. I see wiseguys makes one with an underbrace. I might get one and try it on the next build. This is a bit of work to do and real easy to screw up if you don't pay attention to many things. For what they charge it will save lots of my time and I would feel better putting it on someone elses bike that might ride harder then I do.

Teebs me no scared of them guys over there . I'll post the link
You are 100% correct that it is a chop site .
Over at TCU we would chop a 70xs if that is what you got.
Joe Wiseguy ( member here as well ) is doing a custom mono swing .
Here s the link .
http://www.thechopperunderground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50922

LOl Well, they're not all that scary... they might be a little scared of me though; hence the banning of poor little old me by IP address :laughing:

I AM a cuddly sweetheart. I'm like an Ewok. A big, hairless, tattooed, whiskey drinkin', foul-mouthed, no-bullshit-takin' Ewok. Now THAT'S how "The Empire Strikes Back" should have been! With Imperial Speeder choppers... hell yeah. Ooohhhh, tangent.

You could use 1 piece but I felt it was easier to get the alignment right before welding with the seperate slugs. Since you need to simulate a bend there was some inside and outside grinding done and notches put on the slugs. After doing it I could have used a single piece, the fit is not that tight and there is room to move the outer tubes as needed. I did use DOM tubing. One advantage though is reducing some of the wieght. I originally started to use solid rod but it was really heavy. So far 300 miles and I am watching for any stress cracks, but none. This bike is made for cruising and we have pretty good flat roads with no bad potholes. I thought about an underbrace but I wanted a clean look. I see wiseguys makes one with an underbrace. I might get one and try it on the next build. This is a bit of work to do and real easy to screw up if you don't pay attention to many things. For what they charge it will save lots of my time and I would feel better putting it on someone elses bike that might ride harder then I do.

Do you remember what O.D. Tubing you used?

If your wanting to extend the swing arm hit up Ranger, he sells an extension kit that is much simpler and you don't have to cut the tubing on your swing arm.

Back