Swingarms

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
OK. So I've got an '80 xs with mag wheels w/ disc brake and might want to switch to spokes and drum brake set up. I've heard that to do it I also have to switch the swingarms.

What exactly are the differences between the swingarms?

Reason i ask is that we're on a very tight budget on the '80 xs that we a building and the '77 xs I have with spokes is in rough shape.

Would it be too much hassle to build the '80 now with mag/disc brake and switch it later to spokes. We're building a Bratstyle bike so I just don'w want the shock set up to be messed up later if we switch to spokes.

- to convert a disc swingarm to drum you will need to transfer the drum brace to the lower side of the swingarm...you will also need the drum-brake brake-pedal pivot and the actuating arm

If you have the 77 with the swing arm and the complete brakes, it will be an easy swap. You will need eveything from the brake pedal back. The brake pedals are the same.
The brake pivot shaft, the connector rod, the brake plate and wheel, the brake strut.
If you look at your 80 frame and your 77 frame you will se some minof differences in the pedal hieght adjuster bolt and how it mounts to the frame. The 80 is more level to the ground, the 77 stands more up and down. You may have to build an adapter plate or rebuild the frame mount to be able to adjust the pedal hieght.
Going from drum to disc as I did, just adding a bent piece of steel and bolting it in was all I did. Going from disc to drum may need more. Studing both frames will let you figure out just what it needs.
The 77 swing arm will bolt right into your 80 frame.
Building the 80 now and converting later will be ok. If you put the spoke wheel on the front, and a mag on the back. It will be ok too. I'm running my 75 that way now. Most folks don't notice the mag on back. If you paint it silver, or some color that blends in will make it even less noticable.

Back