Swollen Battery

funky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi All hope your well had problems with starting the bike the last few weeks decided to check it out, seemed to be the battery so attempted to pull it out from the battery tray and had to re enact the sword in the stone as the battery was so swollen but i got it out by tying para cord to the teminals and pulling as hard as i could lol DSCN2128.JPG DSCN2129.JPG
Im glad it never went bang I read the thread about sealed batteries that pamco Pete posted 2015 but I have a have fitted a new regulator /rectifire when i fitted the pamco electronic ignition some time ago fitted the old battery and plugged in the battery trickle charger should be ok . All the best Funky

Last edited:
Here we get $5 or 10 off our next battery when we bring in a dead one.
Partially because of the exchange program, lead acid batteries have the highest recycle rate of any consumer item, over 90% are recycled.

Last edited:
OH ok In the Uk you have to pay the recycling firms to take your rubbish , Beleive or not but thats how stupid we are , its known as RIP OFF BRITTON

What charging system does your bike have..................stock or aftermarket?
You should have a permanent volt meter mounted on your bike, to warn you of excessive high voltage.

When a battery sulfates badly it puts a mineral between the plates and keeps adding to that , over time it will swell the battery badly
...left unchecked it will eventually split the battery case and leak any remaining acid out....
old batteries like this can be rejuvenated believe it or not ...sealed or unsealed type lead acid batteries can be brought back to life
for a fraction of the cost of a new battery....
do a search on You Tube about battery restoration and you'll see dozens of how to videos on how to do it.
and it works....
suffice it to say that battery is no good to you like that, even if it is holding a charge still.... get it out of the bike before it leaks all over it !
Bob......

Back