sycn carbs

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
does anyone have a pic or a video of how the menometer (one with the tubes and blue water inside) is attached to the carbs? i have a set of mikexs carbs on my 1980 xs650.

where is the sync screw on the carb ?

i was looking for a youtube video of how to sync a xs 650 carb anyone know if there is one?

The sync screw is the screw between the two carbs, in front. The idea is to get the right carb pulling the same vacuum as the left one. Measure the left one then adjust the sync screw til the right matches it. If you don't want to use a manometer a vacuum gauge is just as good. If you hook it straight up, the needle will bounce and stuff and we can tell you how to fix that.

Either one, you hook it to the brass fittings on the intakes. Set the petcock on prime, so it won't need a vacuum to pass gas.

keihins...i dont see any screw between the two carbs..the only thing that goes to both carbs is the fuel line....i remove the brass fitting on eacg carb and connect the manometer rubber tube and then push the chock lever all the way down...down like when i start the bike cold?

a picture of the sycn screw and a pic of how the menometer is connected would be great.

I was assuming stock Mikunis. I don't know about off brands. Don't know anything about hard tails and brats and rats and cafe racers either. And I don't even know what a street tracker is.

thought came to mind...... do you have dual throttle cables? if so, adjust the adjusters close to the throttle so that both butterflies start opening at the same time. get it close then use the idle screws to fine tune. this is what i did to a friends 71 with mikuni 38's.

Hook the manometer hoses to the vacuum barbs on the carb boots and set the petcocks on "Prime." There are no butterflies in Keihin (or Mikuni) aftermarket carbs. You need to make two separate synch adjustments. If you're using a manometer, the screws which stop the slides must be adjusted so that the cylinders produce equal vacuum at full drop. Also, the cable adjusters must be set so that the slides rise together; the easiest way to do this is to remove the air filters, open the throttle, and check that the slides are clearing the venturis at the same time, by feeling with a finger.

what do u attached the manometer clear hose too? the only location i see with a hose attahment is the gas line? the carb on the left has one screw and the carb on the right has two screws?

Last edited:
You don't attach the manometer to the carbs, you attach it to the nipples on the intake manifolds. Remove the vacuum line powering your petcock on one, the rubber cap on the other, and attach the manometer hoses in their place .....

CarbStix.jpg

OK, I'll write it out again. Your kit from Mike's includes carb boots with vacuum barbs. Hook the hoses to the vacuum barbs in the carb boots. I can't make it any clearer than that. For the location of throttle stops and mix screws, go to www.sudco.com, click on Keihin carbs, click on PWK diagrams, and look.

Another instance of close posting, 5t--and as usual, you're faster! Maybe the pic and the repeat will carry the concept this time around.

Yes Griz, we've led the horse to water, the rest is up to him, lol.

Okay..i figured it out...with the help of Josh(Detroitmuscle07)....my carbs have no vacuum barbs. so i have to in stall them..for now i adjusted them by sound i looked into each carb and the choke doors are about the same hight 3/16" from the bottom of the carb cold and when i open the gas they go up about the same hight.... i will install the barbs in the rubber hose between the carb and offset bracket..drill a small hole the size of the barb use a little rubber glue to hold it in and get a set of rubber caps to cover them. Then i will use the menometer.

Thanks to all that helped....

I thought Mike's Keihin PWK came with barbs installed. The Dellortos use the BS34 carb holders and they have the barbs installed.
What carbs are you using?

Back