Syncing the carbs on a '75 Xs.

Mattx2

Build it, don't buy it!!
Reaction score
Ok, So i got the bike running strong and idels fine. But to put in gear and taking off seems to be a problem. When i give it gas to go, it seems to hesitate and then jumps to high rpm. I replaced the lining to rule out that the cable grabs the carbs where just cleaned. So i guess my question is how do i sync the carbs for smooth ride?:confused: Also my cam shaft tentioner is dripping oil. How do i fix that?

Can someone help me out?

Doesn't sound like a Sync issue - although you may still have a sync issue that is making the problem worse, syncing the carbs probably won't fix the problem. Sync will cause rough running and hesitation, even one cyl not running if it's out far enough, but I've not seen it cause the symptom you describe.

I would check for a vacuum leak.. spray a little starter fluid near the carbs - if the idle changes, you have a vacuum leak. Cracked carb boots and vacuum lines being the most common.

Another thing that would cause your symptom is the mechanical advance not moving smoothly or the springs being worn. Easy enough to verify with a timing light, as the timing should move from F to fully advanced nice and smoothly. If it jumps from F straight to advanced, that's definitely your mechanical advance that's the issue.

The link Inxs provided has a lot of good info - definitely can't go wrong going through it. these are just my thoughts on where to start.

Good luck

Back