Tach ~ Electronic Mini

Fraser

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'd like to have a "min~tach",and mount it other than on the bars.

Mikes XS, has one, and it's "electronic", it says '80 to '84 TCI

First : our ride is an 1978, and we are going to run a Boyer Bransden micro power & micro Digital Ignition.

Second : what is a " TCI" ? & does that Boyer outfit change the statis of the ride to be able to run an "electronic" tach then ?

there, now that's a mouth full.

Thanks eh

On the TCI, Yamaha calls it Transistor Controlled ignition, a black box of sorts...meaning no points. It is crank triggered by a sensor that picks up a magnet that is mounted on the rotor passing by...If you are going to run the Boyer I suppose you'll be ditching the points anyway.

Pumps.... thanks eh.

BUT, can I plug in that "electronic" Tach then ? :) lol lol Beats me on it. hahahaha

Putting that electric ingniton system, and as you say, dumping that black box, will this bring the ride up to '81 to '84 standards then ? Hence the eletronic Tach would work ?

Also, checked your photo lay out, man you have a shine on those casings for sure eh, like shaving brightness man !

Thanks eh.
f.

Both the Boyer ignition and the Yamaha TCI system use a single coil with dual output and produce one ignition pulse per rpm, so the tach from Mike's for the 80-on system will be compatible. The tach is driven off the negative side of the ignition coil.

Thanks for the compliments. It's coming along. When I have time I haven't cash and when have cash I haven't time. Back surgery has stalled me a little too.
Your 78 would be a points ignition model and should not be equipped from the factory with a TCI setup..

S W E E T " ! "

Grizd1, Thank you, really. I've always done woodworking, and this is a project with our Son....... he's keen then so am I. The help I need, this form is the Best. You guys help out more than I think you relise ya know. And, us Non~Wrenchers so to speak, eat your words up for sure.

Thank You again. Only wish I could be more help to others.

F.

How has this worked out? I thought that this tach was not compatible with the Boyer. I tried myself and could no get it to work. When I contacted Mikes they said that the site had a text error and that this tach was not compatible with a Boyer. Please advise.

Thanks Dave

Back