Tach not working:

Your tach? Could be the cable came loose, or the cable broke internally. Double check the connections, then if need be remove one end of the cable and turn it by hand to see if it still turns. Start there, shouldnt be to hard to figure this one out.
hi just noticed this thread
ive just fitted a low mileage set of clocks from the US, they look in really nice condition speedo works but the tacho rev counter just moves up slow and say i rev to 2000 itll creep up and stay there, turn off the engine and it slowly drops over a few minutes.
any ideas how to fix this ive had the cable disconnected and sprayed with wd40

Old instruments commonly get sluggish because the factory lubricants dry out over time. I've had decent results by simply removing the tach (or speedo) from its bucket and warming it with a heat gun. Don't overdo this. Go for nice and warm, not hot. I then spin the offending device's input shaft in the correct direction with a drill. This usually produces results. You may have to rewarm the meter a couple times before it loosens up.

roy

Old instruments commonly get sluggish because the factory lubricants dry out over time. I've had decent results by simply removing the tach (or speedo) from its bucket and warming it with a heat gun. Don't overdo this. Go for nice and warm, not hot. I then spin the offending device's input shaft in the correct direction with a drill. This usually produces results. You may have to rewarm the meter a couple times before it loosens up.

roy
thanks roy will give that a go .regards Brian

roy

bit the bullet and took the tacho apart, turns out to be a loose bulb shroud tube inside had come away and was moving inside .
its all back together and now working as it should ,this was my first clock disassembly my advice just take it slow watch a few youtube videos.
dont rush its not worth it !.

Back