Tachometer Cap

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know it's been posted and I've read the threads, but I guess I've missed something. But is there a resource out there for a tach cable cover that isn't from MikesXS? (nothing against mikes, i just put an order in)
According to the reading I've done it's either a 16mm or 14mm. The interweb has failed me.
Help please
A22 :thumbsup:

Are you talking a plug for the case? If so lowbrow has them. If your talking a decorative cover I couldn't tell ya

Posted via Mobile

Thanks Ironsled
Here a pick of what I'm looking for:
51-6514.jpg

The one at lowbrow is $20, and I forgot to add it to my last order from Mikes, so I don't want to pay shipping for a $5 item.
Was hoping to get one locally.

Really LowBrow wants $20 for that.....jeeesh :wtf:. I would like to know if there is a local equivilant.

Thanks Ironsled
Here a pick of what I'm looking for:
51-6514.jpg

The one at lowbrow is $20, and I forgot to add it to my last order from Mikes, so I don't want to pay shipping for a $5 item.
Was hoping to get one locally.

Lowbrow doesn't sell the threaded cap that MikesXS sells. They sell a piece made by LC Fab that plugs the tach drive hole.

I went to lowbrow and looked. About the same thing at three times the price, oh I forgot it billet :doh:

Last edited:
You can pull the case,remove tach drive and washer under it,then all you have to do is cut or grind the threads that that cap would screw on to off and plug weld it shut,a little finishing with the grinder and install with new o ring.

You can pull the case,remove tach drive and washer under it,then all you have to do is cut or grind the threads that that cap would screw on to off and plug weld it shut,a little finishing with the grinder and install with new o ring.
Umm, going to that length I might as well pay the $5 and be done with it. I was hoping just to get the specs so I could try and find something locally. Does anyone know is it a 14mm or 16mm and what is the pitch?

Hello.

I got the "flat" plug that makes it possible to get rid of the shaft and sprocket.
It´s useless if you don´t have a tacometer.

I think the result is "sophisticated". Guess you´ll never notice it´s there. I like that.

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB168754.JPG
    FB168754.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 441
  • FB168758.JPG
    FB168758.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 404
  • FB168760.JPG
    FB168760.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 323
Hello.

I got the "flat" plug that makes it possible to get rid of the shaft and sprocket.
It´s useless if you don´t have a tacometer.

I think the result is "sophisticated". Guess you´ll never notice it´s there. I like that.

/BigBoreSwede

BBS - Where did you get the plug from? Is it the one from lowbrow customs?

If you have an old tach cable take the cap off of it and either weld, braze or silver solder the hole. You may try JB weld. Tony C.

"Atomic22"......since I live i Sweden it had to go all the way from Heiden Tuning (the Netherlands) along with everything else needed for the re-build I´m doing.

They do some stuff on there own I think, triple tree and some other things. Maybe the plug is also one of there own items.
Check it out on http://www.xs650.biz/

/BigBoreSwede

nice looking cap
thanks for the heads up

for a different bike
i am also looking for the threaded adapter that connects the cable to the drive unit
(threaded part sticking out the top in your pic #3)

Maybe I did it the ghetto way, but I just found a rubber cap that fit over the threads and put a hose clamp on it.

I went the JB Weld route and fabbed a piece of aluminum to seal the stock tach cap. Added a new O Ring and no leaks in a thousand miles. Quick, easy & cheap.

JAXN

Back