Dash rebuilding / gauge gear ratios

authenticnovelty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been asked a number of times on this forum causing various users to chime in with inconsistent answers, but i want to double check... Please forgive me.

The standard speedometer on an xs650 with a 19” front wheel is a 2:1 gear ratio. Correct?

Between posts on this forum and tachometers available on mike’s XS & xs650central, everyone seems to be fairly in agreement that the standard tachometer is a 1:5 gear ratio. Correct?

My existing OEM tachometer states “NIPPON SEIKI JAPAN 5:1” on the bottom of the face of it. Is that a ratio for something else?

I ordered 2.5” gauges from Dime City Cycles in 2:1 speedometer and 1:5 tachometer. I feel its best to take my OEM gauge readings with a grain of salt, as they flail violently from left to right when I get to highway speed, but the behavior of the new tach seems completely different at idle. It reads about 1200RPM where the engine sounds like 1500RPM and didn't seem to want to go far past 2000RPM when i spiked the throttle to what sounds like about 4000RPM.

When I called Dime City about the 5:1 vs 1:5 concern, they said they believe the tach and the speedometer should both be 2:1 on these gauges for the xs650.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the link TwoManyXBs!

WOW. finally a cut and dry thread on the topic. Every thread I found was pre 2016 with a lot of opinion mixed in. I appreciate the similar reluctance to install mini gauges in the thread.

I ended up installing everything and seems good so far. No long trips to test yet though. Still gotta crank up the odometer.

Bonus: learned that with several wraps of electrical tape around the cylinder, the ignition switch fits weather-sealed in the headlight bucket.

Attachments

• DB21F9F5-8A82-4535-9E99-AA32867849E9.jpeg
    DB21F9F5-8A82-4535-9E99-AA32867849E9.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Back