Ratio and Thread size of 1978 XS650 Speedo and Tach?

Ton650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Want to buy some new gauges, and I don't want mini's. Also, are they the same size and ratio for a 1975 XS650? Thanks in advance

I've read through those threads and others and there doesn't seem to be any consensus. Nothing about the TACH ratio as far as I can see, no mention of what the cable thread size is? What I gather is the speedometer should be 2240 RPM at 60 mph, which translates too CLOSE to 1.2 ratio, but then others were saying it's 2.1 ratio, and MikeXS and others were selling 2.1 ratio speedos??? I still don't have any answers.

What I'm hoping to do is replace mine with Indian made "SMITHS" replica's (I assume made for Enfields), the speedo's are 2.1 and the tachs are 5.1, so I don't know for sure if the 5.1 tach will work? And I'm thinking if the speedo an XS requires is 1.2 ratio, then maybe I can just buy the Enfield speedo drive, and this will guarantee the speedo reads correctly? Having never done this I don't know, so I need advice. Also they say the threads are M12 which I think is what an XS takes, or is it M10??

Not what i read in the link i posted...or the other links within the link..........1.28 - 1.3 ratio

The tachometer cable adapter, emerging from the right side cover, is threaded metric, M16-1.5mm.

The tachometer drive ratio is 1:5.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/mini-custom-speedo-tacho-what-ratio-required.46384/#post-464355

(Post #28)
http://www.xs650.com/threads/early-...rebuild-rejuvenation.31305/page-2#post-316523

Thank you TooMany you really seem to know your stuff. The thread I was talking about was just where you attach the cable to the tach or speedo, and it looks like M12. So what is the ratio of the speedometer? Is it really 2.1? or is it 1.2??

The 2:1 ratio is a Harley thing.
2240 rpm at 60mph is jap bike ratio, about 2.8:1.
I ran a Honda CB550 speedo on my other XS1B, worked well.

Do a forum search on "speedo ratio" posted by member "PamcoPete".

I'm clueless about the instrument-to-cable threadings...

Back