Valve noise I think?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have my valves adjusted correctly but when I start the bike cold they will rattle for a minute then
go totally quiet, normal rite. But when the motor gets real hot after running it hard or on a hot day
after say 1/2 hr ride the valves (at least thats the noise I think) will rattle very loud, sounds terrible.
Let the bike cool down and back to normal.Is this normal or could I possibly need new valve adjuster screws.
My oil is full 20/50 Dino. It seems to be much louder on the clutch side.I have pulled the clutch cover
and looked but everything appears tight ect.Any ideas. I saw a tube video of a xs650 that sounded similar
and his oil pump/tach gear came off and no oil was getting to the top end ,sounded the same as mine but have checked and my oil pump gear and tach are working fine.I have one of those Heiden oil filter/coolers with the Honda filter,could that be restricting the flow to much over the standard filter? Tried retarding my
timing a bit but no change.Jetting is bang on.Again this only happens when engine gets really hot.

Something I want to do is meet someone with a car with a tappet system like the XS and lift their bonnet and listen to the tappet noise. This would give me a better feeling as to how noisy is too noisy hot and cold. Perhaps you know someone with such a car or another XS owner nearby?

Sorry I cannot answer your questions directly.

To me it sounds like oil is getting to the head. It's noisy for a few seconds until it does, and gets noisy again when the oil thins out from heat. If you want to see if oil is getting to the head, remove a tappet cover while it's running and a mist of oil should come out, like an elf in there spraying a can of Pam out. You could try switching sides with the adjusters and see if the noise changes sides, but the way sound travels around it things can be hard to pinpoint. If it doesn't happen with new oil, you can use when it starts as a reminder to change oil.

I can't say about the noise when hot but mine used to tick on start-up like that. It was my front cam chain guide, the rubber coming unglued .....

w1FmGEX.jpg

I kind like them that way they tick on start up and like said quiet down when run for a bit, kind of an audible they are set just right. cam chain slaps a bit before it's warm also. Doesn't hurt to sniff the dip stick now then make sure oil doesn't have any gas in it....

Thx Guys,oil looks clean and feels nice and slippery between my fingers,cant feel skin, my dad showed me that one for a quick
oil needing changed test.I do have a new Cam chain guide (Mikes xs) maybe 3000 miles ago as per previous owner (Yamaha mechanic)
And did check tension again just to see but all good there.Is it possible that the Valve adjusters would do that were there quiet when engine cold
then louder when engine gets really hot.Would think that the hotter the engine gets the tighter the tolerance and therefore
less noise when hot. This has to be the noisiest bike I've ever had.Come to think of it my fuel injected Sportster 1200 would get
louder when really hot but it had to be 100 plus out.The xs650 definitely likes the cooler weather, maybe its time for an oil cooler.
How well do they work (Mikes unit)?

What would be better,Mikes High Performance oil pump or the Oil cooler?Anyone try these and can advise.Thx

^The clearances do close up but the oil gets thinner, so I guess that outruns it :) Without hearing it, what you're describing sounds pretty normal, to me at least. You might re-check the clearances, a lot of ppl use .003 for intake and .006 for exhaust. If the adjusters or valve stems are pitted in the wrong place it'll create a clearance that you can't measure.

The oil coolers might not really be necessary. I think I remember someone testing the one that goes in the side filter hole and sticks out and there was no temperature change.

My bike does what you describe. Lots of ticking up top until oil gets up there, quieting down as she warms and tolerances close. And when it's gets real hot out, 105+, she gets noisy again. No tick, but you can hear the valves more than when the oil is still a bit thick.

Yeah, the bolt on cooler doesn't really cool, but the paper cartridge filter is a nice upgrade.

What was the final conclusion as to the additional force/torque that the high performance pump puts on the pump gear train??? See Entry 108 in the thread linked directly above this entry.

Changed the oil no diff.Ordered new Valve screws.Virago style, if that doesn't work I'm just driving it with ear plugs!

If you hold your legs closer to the tank it cuts out a lot of the engine noise. If you get a chance listen to another tappet engine to see how noisy they can be. Try and listen to old cars from the 60s and 70s and earlier.

Yes I tried another friends and it was quietonder same conditions.I think the valves have carbon build-up
on the stems and cant close properly and cant get a proper setting on the adjusters,that side has a more blue
coloured exhaust pipe manifold (running hotter).Can the Base of the Valve stems be cleaned without removing the head?

Read a post from GGGgary on cleaning the valves thru the Exhaust ports with Manifolds removed with a
Dremel or Rifle cleaning kit

Changed the oil no diff.Ordered new Valve screws.Virago style, if that doesn't work I'm just driving it with ear plugs!
I always drive my bike with ear plugs in. That is how I protect my hearing from the wind noise.
Why would you drive without ear plugs? I thought everyone used ear plugs.

My old helmet had nice padding around the ears. My new helmet is very noisy with little padding. I think it has been made to take a communications earphone. I noticed the high noise level on the motorway this week as a car approached from behind and passed me, absolutely deafening noise from tyres. Must try your ear plug method - Good one RTG!

Back