tail light and head light operation question

aaronrkelly

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive got a 1979 XS650 that I bought partially done as a project so Ive got no basis for "correct" operation.

Tail light comes on and goes off with the key switch......head light has an on/off switch on the bars.

Every other vintage motorcycle Ive owned that had a switched headlight (ie on/off) the tail light was switched with the headlight.

IE......if the head light was on.....the tail light/plate light was on and if the head light was off......the tail light/plate light was off.

Is this correct or did the PO wire it up this way?

That's the way they are stock. I think it was done so if your bike quits along the side of the road you can turn the headlight off yet still have the tail light lit to make you more visible to passing traffic.
Leo

That's how I wired mine up as well. Main power switch is on, tail light is on. Headlight has low/off/high switch but tail light is always on. You can never be too visible.

A 1979 shouldn't have an on-off switch for the headlight. It should only have a low-high beam switch. The headlight is wired to be on all the time, but isn't turned on by the safety relay until the alternator is putting out. that way the headlight isn't pulling battery power while the starter is running, but comes on automatically once the engine is running. The tail light is supposed to turn on-off with the key switch. If you have an on-off switch for the headlight, and it is a 1979, someone messed with the wiring.

Interesting.....seems the PO did something I actually approve of for once....lol.

Id much rather have a on/off switch then a safety relay and more wiring.

I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the safety relay as it is a combo unit incorporating the starter safety relay in there as well. '78 was the last year with the on/off headlight switch in the right side handlebar switch assembly. As mentioned, someone either changed yours or maybe your bike is really a '78?

We may be able to get to the bottom of this by how the switch functions. Does yours operate the headlight at all times, even with the motor running? The original '78 switch set-up only functioned with the key on, motor not running. As soon as you started the motor, that safety relay would turn the headlight on no matter what position the handlebar switch was in, even if it was turned off. There is a simple work-around to make the switch function at all times and if yours does, maybe that has been implemented .....

HLSwitchRelay.jpg

Yes, even with the motor running I can ride without the headlight. It was hard tailed by the PO so its far from stock.

I pulled the starter and all the relays off, kick only.

Back