Tail Light ideas?

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Can anyone offer some ideas for a tail light/license plate mount in place of the stock light? I'm looking for something to replace the "Rising Sun" behind me. Preferrably something that can mount in the existing spot as the original.

I wanted an LED tail/brake light to reduce the electrical load. I bought this one at Wal-mart..............its DOT approved. I also had to buy a small LED licence plate light from Princess Auto.

Big reduction in amps:
Original #1157 bulb= 0.6 amps Tail, 1.7 amps Brake
LED= 0.073 amps Tail, 0.142 amps Brake

A great addition...............uses less power and is brighter as well.

Attachments

• LED tail brake rev1.JPG
    LED tail brake rev1.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 209
That's a good idea. There's a camper/trailer dealer not to far from my home. I thought about checking them out. Otherwise, I am going to hit the internet. Here is a tail light that I would like to find. This is a picture of C-Los's cafe.

Attachments

• DSCN1134.jpg
    DSCN1134.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 295
If you can settle for just square instead of round, look up stock '79 fenders on ebay. It doesn't have that funky piece in front of the light either.

I'm looking for turn signals that fit beside the license plate, if you run across anything.

If you can settle for just square instead of round, look up stock '79 fenders on ebay. It doesn't have that funky piece in front of the light either.

I'm looking for turn signals that fit beside the license plate, if you run across anything.

I'll check that out. I also like the idea of a bundled assembly with the tail light and blinkers close together.

The way I pack stuff on mine, it hides the stock turn signals half the time :)

I know the picture is crap, here's a better one. The Mag D head is spun on lathe to create fins. Body is cut so just threading remains and re-thread the ID for the tail cap. Reflector is 1 piece of aluminum with a 1157 LED bulb. I cut a trailer tail light lens to fit, but don't know if I'll use it. As for mounting, I'm through bolting from the inside straight down. Will be mounted to left side axle vertical plate mount.

Attachments

• IMG-20110503-00022.jpg
    IMG-20110503-00022.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 156
a bulged out lens will give some extra side visability. A sore point with any "side mounted" tail/brake light. Funny how "loud pipes save lives" but visible lights don't...........
Yeah I'm old AND crotchety. Been hit by a truck too.

Good set up XS1961
there's an ebay listing for a
LUCAS TAILIGHT TAIL LIGHT British BOBBER CAFE NEW

less than $20.00

I just looked at that. I must have the '79 bracket which would work for that light. Mine does not have that horn looking support behind the light.

XS1961, did that bracket come with the light or did you purchase that separately from somewhere else?

Last edited:
Back