Tail light issue

82Cafe

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey, This is my first post on this forum, so go easy on me! haha

I recently installed a small LED brake light unit on my bike. I just wired it directly to the wires that were running to make last brake light. now im not that knowledgeable on electrical, but apparently i didnt do it right. it worked, for a couple days. then the LEDs started burning out, first just a few did, now they are all burnt out like after 3-4 days of riding.

my one thought was, do i need like a resister right before the LEDs as to not fry them?

here is the link to the LED brake light i bought.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261048007151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks for the help guys!

oh, and here is a picture of the bike to give you an idea! :)
316707_10152102577995576_1883270977_n.jpg

hey, This is my first post on this forum, so go easy on me! haha

I recently installed a small LED brake light unit on my bike. I just wired it directly to the wires that were running to make last brake light. now im not that knowledgeable on electrical, but apparently i didnt do it right. it worked, for a couple days. then the LEDs started burning out, first just a few did, now they are all burnt out like after 3-4 days of riding.

my one thought was, do i need like a resister right before the LEDs as to not fry them?

here is the link to the LED brake light i bought.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261048007151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks for the help guys!

The sellers advertising does not specifically say its for 12 volt operation, but he does say its for motorcycles, quads etc. My guess would be that it may be too cheaply made to handle the vibrations, or you just happened to get a defective unit. You should not be required to add resistors. Contact the seller and tell him it failed, and ask for another one.

The sellers advertising does not specifically say its for 12 volt operation, but he does say its for motorcycles, quads etc. My guess would be that it may be too cheaply made to handle the vibrations, or you just happened to get a defective unit. You should not be required to add resistors. Contact the seller and tell him it failed, and ask for another one.

Ok that is kind of what i was thinking as well. ya it definitely isnt the highest quality. Ya i already messaged him and he is sending another, hoping it will last longer! thanks!

I bought mine from Super Bright LEDs. It lasted about a month then died. But my tail light housing died too about 4 times.

Got a new one with a new tail light that mounts on top of the fender (sparto). No problem so far.

Back