Tall guy chop

Well I just got back from the 5 hour drive to pick it up. And after looking for one of these for 3 years, that I could afford, I can't wait to get started!

I am going to start taking things apart tonight but I had a few questions.

The bike has a title but no key. The motor is locked up and even if I get it to turn over I don't have a key. I would guess that there is a workaround for that but I don't know what it is.

Also, I want to start clearing the clutter but I am not sure what to cut out and what to leave. I have seen the wiring diagrams but I am wondering if I am better off starting from scratch? Can someone explain what should be left and what should be removed at this point. It sounds like, either way, the motor is going to get torn down and I want the bike as bare bones as possible. Do I just strip it all?

If you are going to bob it anyway, just pull the stock harness and rewire it with just the basic needs. There are some really nicely done schematics in the tech section that I used.

Well I got it home and started taking it apart :yikes:

Here is what I found when I looked into the engine. Are there any threads around here for how to do a complete rebuild :doh:

Oh well, I knew it was probably bad and at this point I only have $50 and the gas to go get it today, and it still has a title :D

An idea what I would expect to pay to have a mechanic go through it?

Attachments

• December 2011 408.jpg
    December 2011 408.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 133
  • December 2011 411.jpg
    December 2011 411.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 150
  • December 2011 412.jpg
    December 2011 412.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 144
What do you guys think? With that much rust inside is this one a parts motor or is it worth trying to rebuild?

What should a guy expect to pay for a used motor?

Looks like an 80 or 81 special II Yeah the motor looks bad.... Has it been sitting outside with the carbs off? A used but not rusted to death motor would be a much better starting point. Where are you located? I don't think a key matters at this point, I am pretty sure that motors not going to turn again without the services of a rather large sledge hammer.

As far as I can tell it hasn't sat without the carbs. It was apparently stored under a tarp for many years. It sure looks like it has been exposed though doesn't it? I couldn't believe all of the crap in there!

I am in Iowa, on the border of Iowa and Illinois. Right of of Interstate 80. I don't see many of these around here.

What is a reasonable price for a used motor?

Anyone know if I can use a motor off any XS650 or only specific years?

Guys just don't realize tarps are the worst thing you can do to a bike, it's like a little greenhouse under there. The moisture from the ground comes up and the tarp keeps it by the motorcycle. Death by tarp!
in general anything 74 and up is fine, earlier will fit but the internals are different and a bit harder to find parts for.

Can anyone help me identify this? I found a guy with an engine but the numbers don't match the charts exactly and I am not sure how to read them. I need to figure out whether an engine marked 447-722735 will fit my 1980 frame. Any help would be appreciated!

That should be a 77
XS-D (US) 76-77 1T3 Engine # from 447- 700101
Yes ALL XS650 engines will fit your frame
The biggest difference is the 77 had points your 80 has the TCI set up, but the parts will swap either way and if you go with a PAMCO ignition the advance rod etc form the points engine can be used.

Thanks gggGary. I thought that might be mine because it was the only one that had the 447-7.....

I don't know if this one is going to pan out or not. Still talking to him...

So glad to hear there are other big riders of the XS out there.

I'm 6'7" and was doubting if i had made the right choice. BUt you know what, fk it - its gonna be my chop, built how i want, and if i look a little silly who gives a ****. lol

Back