Tank Bag: Old School BMW on a XS

Stone Co Rambler

Tarmac & Terra Firma
Reaction score
Don't have a lot of XS knowledge yet but I do have a bit on this style BMW:

The tank bag from this 92 R100 GSPD fits and works a treat on the XS. It's called a BMW Multivario Tank bag, they were made for R Series and K series bikes from the 70's thru the mid 90's. Bags are the essentially the same with various color combinations (some zipper sizes vary).

This tank bag is from a K bike in the late 80's. These are no longer available from BMW but there are always some floating around for sale in the usual places and m/c forums. $75-$200 depending on condition.

All offered and slim set up for carrying a light load
DSCN5077_zpsf7275ecc.jpg

DSCN5080_zpsfc5f04b1.jpg

or

An expandable middle compartment that really carries the mail.
DSCN5082_zps8dc7b61a.jpg

DSCN5083_zpsb972942d.jpg

Clear map window on top, full handlebar clearance from stem to stern with the tapered front design

DSCN5078_zps693b3fde.jpg

The thing that makes this work so will is the mounting base. This is from the 1992 R100 GSPD, its a huge 9.5 gallon tank so its odd this fits so well on the peanut XS. The base attaches under the frame @ the stem and under the frame at the seat/batter area.

It unzips at the each side of the base so the bag can be pulled back and not removed to fill the tank. The cut of the base works great with the XS fuel cap. Two pressure straps secure the base/bag to the tank.

DSCN5076_zps0cc0cdc9.jpg

It is still available new from any online BMW MC dealer with a parts fiche. The bag detaches from the base and has a shoulder strap/handle to carry whatever. These can be found as hard as you want to look. $40 used- $80 or so new.

Cheers...

Last edited:
My old school bag of choice is the Harro .....

Harro.jpg

I run them on my old BMWs as well .....

Slash6-2014.jpg

This was the bag of choice for the early '70s BMWs, before BMW started selling their own. Heavy leather base, rubberized canvas expandable top, very old school.

Yeah,

Those old Harro bags are great. Had one for years myself.
Wunderlich now makes a new repro model called the Mammut for $400.

Having used both the multivario with zip off base is easier access to the tank for re fueling and a much more snug fit, no load shifting. Zippers on the MV are easier to get in and out of the bag w/o the white leather strap flapping about.

Either way, both neat old school bags that do the job. Thanks for posting, I was in the market for a Harro or the new version until I test fitted the one I have.

I'm just thrilled I dont have to buy another bag for the XS.

I picked all my Harros up off eBay, some used, some N.O.S.

Back