tank options

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I am about to give up on my tracker. I had a bad experience with a Omar's tank (ethanol). Are there any metal tank options for a tracker other then the stock tank which in my opinion just don't look tracker.
jefft

cut up the stock tank and make your own? good practice and when its done you can say you made it!!!

I know it would be a pain butt...

The marina I work out of sells Non Ethanol gas. 90 octane. Boats have lots of issues with the ethanol so they started carrying the Non E a few years back. For those who build weekend riders with fiberglass tanks or let the bikes sit long peroids (winter) this might be an option. Get a couple of 5 gallon jugs and go get some. Check with your local marina to see if they carry it. The cost is a bit more but it can solve your problems too.

hi,, if you go to the yamaha xs650 club australia and look at the garage 1 or 2 you will see a nice trackerbeing built by terry gliddon ,,, it looks superb... on ebay.com there are a few alloy tanks fairy priced ...regards oldbiker

Looks like a stock Yamaha 650 tank to me. IMHO they just don't look the part of a tracker.
Jefft

I am about to give up on my tracker. I had a bad experience with a Omar's tank (ethanol). Are there any metal tank options for a tracker other then the stock tank which in my opinion just don't look tracker. jefft

Did you get the Omar tank with the (ethanol) coating option? We have had good luck with that coating.

Merry Chtistmas,
Bryan

Robert at Omars said my new tank is on the way. I haven't recieved it just yet. I hadn't heard of this option and Robert hasn't mentioned it in the many conversations we have had. Which sealer do you reckon they used? You mention "we" have had good luck with the coating? Can you explain?
jefft

tx500 tank is wide egnough and almost hasthe same profile as the omars tank

Attachments

• Street tacker build 038.jpg
    Street tacker build 038.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 340
Ok, I just went over to Omars website and read his testimonial. I would laugh if I wasn't out so much money on his failed tank. What he says about the resin breaking down and entering carbs and valves and neccesitating an engine tear down is true because thats just what his tank did to my engine. Even though he boldly states this in his ad, he would not do a thing to make it right other then a new tank. That isn't going to fix my new carbs or the damage to my engine that had just been rebuilt. Buyer beware. If and when that new tanks gets here I'm going to sell it. I don't care to be yet another one of his experiments so he can find out if he got it right this time. jefft

Not trying to defend robert I actually cancelled my order for a tank with him due to your issues and I think the sides are too flat. But... How old is your tank it from the Phill Little days or from when after he bought the company? This is a side deal for robert not his full time gig so his customer service seems to be lacking when you think of him as a "company". E10 gas issues have just really started to be more of an issue in the last two years I don't know how long that warning has been on his site but I doubt it has been that long.

hi,,, you are correct about terry gliddon,s tank on his red tracker.. if you look on ebay.com usa you might pick up a gsx1100 which is the scolloped sides,, or a gs 550 /500 or look on ebay.com for a norton stle alloy tank they are not that expensive ... there,s even a german company that make a really nice alloy tank which is advertised on our australian site ... the tank is made for the xs650 best of luck regards oldbiker

Robert at Omars said my new tank is on the way. I haven't recieved it just yet. I hadn't heard of this option and Robert hasn't mentioned it in the many conversations we have had. Which sealer do you reckon they used? You mention "we" have had good luck with the coating? Can you explain?
jefft

Which sealer do you reckon they used? I don't know what sealer they use.

You mention "we" have had good luck with the coating? Can you explain?[/I I have purchased 2 tanks with the coating on the inside that are used on my Dirttrackers. From time to time I have to use unleaded pump gas when race fuel is not available and I have had no problems.

The 650/750 dirttracker I have had a tank with no lining in it and one night while sitting in my garage the tank started pouring out fuel from the bottom and this is how I found out about Ethanol in fuel. Im sure it melted in my carbs & engine some how but it has'nt effected how it runs yet. I did clean out the carbs with carb cleaner though.
I'm always willing to give someone a chance to make good on something but thats up to you. Good luck in which ever tank you decide on.

Last edited:
Well, I am willing to give anyone another chance myself. Fact is, I had returned the tank not once, but on three different occasions and it still was coming apart. What I don't like is when I contact a company and they deny any problems with the tank other then the problems I have had. Now if that was a fact then why would the same company go to all the trouble to change their methods or type of lining they use in their tanks as their advertisement now states. Damage control thats why and I bet he hasn't spent one dime toward repairing any damage to engines that his tank innards have found their way into. I had spent a considerable amount of money on rebuilt head, new pistons and rings, new cam etc. to then get washed down with his epoxy resin. I bought my tank when Phil had the company and began having problems right a way.
Jefft

Well, I am willing to give anyone another chance myself. Fact is, I had returned the tank not once, but on three different occasions and it still was coming apart. What I don't like is when I contact a company and they deny any problems with the tank other then the problems I have had. Now if that was a fact then why would the same company go to all the trouble to change their methods or type of lining they use in their tanks as their advertisement now states. Damage control thats why and I bet he hasn't spent one dime toward repairing any damage to engines that his tank innards have found their way into. I had spent a considerable amount of money on rebuilt head, new pistons and rings, new cam etc. to then get washed down with his epoxy resin. I bought my tank when Phil had the company and began having problems right a way.
Jefft
Hey Jeff,
I have only bought from them since Robert has owned Omars. I talked with him last week and he was talking about doing the Omars business full time begining next year. There are some guy's on VFT.org http://www.vft.org/vftforsale2Products.html that are making tanks, you might check them out also. Sorry you had so much trouble but hang in there if you can and I would like to see some pictures of your tracker posted on here.

Bryan

I bought the tank several years ago when Phil still owned the company. It has been a long process of shipping back and forth (me paying the shipping). Phil tried to fix the tank but all he did was cut the bottom out and tried to repair the old tank. Then Robert became the company owner. I have sent it back to him several times already. I have had the tank for several years but it would be ok for 2 or 3 months and then begin to release the lining again. I could always tell when things were going bad again because my carbs would start acting up. So, yes I have had the tank for a while but with the shipping back and forth I have had very little actual use. I just recieved the new tank yesterday evening. I don't know if one can tell anything from the odor or color of the liner but it looks and smells just like the first tank. I'm afraid to use it. I'm tired of going through my carbs.
jefft

I think that once the enthenol started eating the tank, The first time it should of been trashed I don't think they could properly reline it after it had "goo'd " up. They should have just replaced the tank. I dident see any kind of warranty posted up on there site. I personaly would be happy if he had done anything cosidering it was not one of "his" tanks. It still sucks I had a couple conversations with robert and he did come out and say that he had issues with two tanks and that they had change the process that they used to coat them. apperantly the cast the tanks in two parts then coat them seperatly then they bond them together and recoat them again. I would sell that new tank on ebay and fab up a metal tank.

P.S. got pictures of your bike?

Back