tank repair

rezsst

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
my bike is red it was outside in the weeds for 10 years before i got it. the tank was red but the sun faded it white. i going to paint it but i dont want to put the yamaha logo back on it. should i weld some gauge steal in its place so i can smooth out the tank or should i use body filler? is there a coating inside the tank that would burn?

MY preference would normally be to weld metal in the area, BUT beings its a gas tank AND its lined (Which would be damaged) HUMmmmmmmm....... 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another. I hate bondoing something like that, but would hate to blow up WORSE.

I have a junk tank just to paint. That one I just bondo to fill it. In your case use a product called all metal its a fiberglass with metal in it. That should hold up. Prep the metal with 36 grit sand paper

I used bondo, really not that much to fill and if you decide to put the emblems back on in some distant future you just might be able to dig a bit to find the screw recievers....

i've been welding over 25 years and i think i'll use bondo because the tank is in good shape. welding it will open a can of worms. i'll sand blast the area first to make bondo stick better. if it was cracker or badly dented then i would weld it. i have welded tanks before and this is how i do it. clean tank with hot soapy water,purge tank with argon (5psi) put argon gas line in one end like the petcock then plug the other end the filler opening with masking tape then poke a hole 1/4 inch in tape. keep this end up and it will push the oxygen out of tank wait 5 minutes to remove all oxygen. then tig weld tank. the argon will prevent explosion and make the weld clean with full penatration in the tank.

i have welded tanks before and this is how i do it. clean tank with hot soapy water,purge tank with argon (5psi) put argon gas line in one end like the petcock then plug the other end the filler opening with masking tape then poke a hole 1/4 inch in tape. keep this end up and it will push the oxygen out of tank wait 5 minutes to remove all oxygen. then tig weld tank. the argon will prevent explosion and make the weld clean with full penatration in the tank.

THAT, my friends is some GOOD info there !!! I always wondered how people managed to weld on a used tank without the KABOOM !!! :laugh:

Back