TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

that's great then. doesn't surprise me a whole lot. are you using just one coil from the stock tci pickup? or does it take both coils, with the common running to ground, or...?

I am impressed that you have some knowledge of the tech behind the TCi.
Years ago I supplied a lot of OEM Igniter boxes for a lot of the Japanese bikes.
I inquired to the factories that built them and was suprised to find that the OEM
builders had no idea about the design and said that they were given a blueprint only
and a phoney part number and just built them. Any knowledge you can give would be
of interest to those who repair or adapt . The original Yamaha Tci box was US $585.00 !

The original Yamaha Tci box was US $585.00 !
And that was in real money. Was also about equal to about a quarter of the price of the bike new. I don't think I have enough toes and fingers to convert to Canadian for Pete.
My knowledge is more black box understanding. I know what the inputs and outputs are. These boxes I treat as a large IC.

I'm watching this with interest because I believe the E-advance (the blue plastic box) on my PAMCO is going bonkers. If I retard the ignition to not go beyond the Max Advance mark the fire at idle is to the rt of the "T" mark. There is popping in the intakes and sometimes so strong it stalls the engine. If I advance the ignition to stop the stop the popping enough the advanced mark is past the "F" and the engine vibrates more at the higher RPM. My hands fall asleep at hiway speeds. It's just the E-Advance because the basic PAMCO is functioning great. As I understand this system will eliminate the PAMCO electronics and advance shaft at the cam and use the stock pickup and coil with the new box mounted wherever in the frame. And it cost about $25 or less? WINNER!

I have Old Brown wired up to the box as a test bench. Plugs out (with plugs grounded) kick starting, the timing mark for static is spot on with the stock pickup.
Will add fuel to the mix tomorrow and see if I can get it to start.

Seeing the GN250, (gotta figure out something else to call it) operating on the actual bike and what it is doing has my confidence level very high

Gary.
I want to thank you. About a year ago you tried to gently let me down on the possibility of finding a box that would work. I was not looking forward to scrounging a used tci or the parts to replace the advance and a pamco. I ended up here in the first place because of the research by mrriggs. I really prefer the crank mounted pickup and consider using the stock rotor and stator a bonus.

I was pretty confident the behavior of the TCI simulator was pretty close to the real thing. Last night I kicked over Old Brown with the Gonzo hooked up to check the static timing. Spot on.

Screen shot from video
upload_2020-5-17_16-56-36.png

Here is a video of kicking the bike

http://eaglesnesttx.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/gonzo-cranking.mov

What is the spec on the coil?
A Honda MP08 is the most popular one for the TCI iggys. I'm running one on the SG. I picked up 2 of 'em on Ebay for about 20 bucks. They were late 90's, but that still makes 'em about 20 yrs newer that the original XS TCI coil.

Back