TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

20200607_114435.jpg
OK. It took a dozen tries but here it is. The video of my start and timing marks and advance. I notice that when the low idle the firing is advanced and when the idle is upped a bit the mark retards and as the RPMs increases the ignition advances and maxes out just short of the max at the bottom groove. And as soon as I figure out how to post the video I will. The pic is of the installation of the "Gonzo Box". Yes, the ground lead was installed before starting.

Last edited:
AZMAN
You might try reversing the pickup leads. The advance at idle maybe is caused by the negative pulse coming first. I think Jim observed the same behaviour until he reversed the pickup lead .
Glad it's running for you and thank you going to the trouble of testing a unproven concept.

As an aside my good buddy retired, sold his place in Vegas and bought a place in Silver City NM.16 miles off the hwy (9 miles of it dirt). looking at his place on google earth it a[[ers he overlooks the Phelps Dodge Tyrone copper mine. I love mines. Spent some time in one here in Texas when I was younger. After the photos you and Mailman have posted I've been jonesing to get back out west and doing some riding. Hwy 180 north of Silver City is so awesome on a bike.
Jack

Bisbee AZ is the place if you want to see a mine. The Copper Queen mine holds tours I went on it a few years back. Well worth the time.
Yes, I will try reversing the pickup leads. Now if I can get the cam end seals to stop leaking...Gotta find the extra seals....

Yep I have seen it. I think I may still be wanted in Bisbee for a unpaid speeding ticket from 1978

Leads reversed. I'll put the timing light to it later, after things ( bike and air temps)cool down.

Leads reversed. I'll put the timing light to it later, after things ( bike and air temps)cool down.
I hear you. I'm hiding in my recliner in the A/C right now. Good idea posting video to FB. My employment contract for the last 20 years prohibited me posting video on you tube so I had never created an account. Do have FB( as much as I hate the blank,blank.

You might try reversing the pickup leads. The advance at idle maybe is caused by the negative pulse coming first. I think Jim observed the same behaviour until he reversed the pickup lead .
I think I see which leads you are reversing, but for clarity, could you please show me on your wiring diagram exactly which ones?
Thanks !

Question for clarity and prosperity..........I had to look for an alternative pickup, (cost, Gonzo not cheep over here), and came across a lot that had one wire, not 2.........
Would these type be able to be used ????...........

Would that pick up with one wire be a ground, through the mount..... and the wire would be +.......????

Question for clarity and prosperity..........I had to look for an alternative pickup, (cost, Gonzo not cheep over here), and came across a lot that had one wire, not 2.........
Would these type be able to be used ????...........

Would that the pick up with one wire be a ground, (-), through the mount..... and the wire would be +.......????
I don't think so Doug. When I ohm'd the sensor input on the box, it was floating (neither leg went to ground).
Disregard.

Last edited:
Something TJ said that made me think there was a ground.......didn't follow up as we were on another track

So a single wired pickup no good???......or how would it work......???

If need be nylon screws. I about to order on of those myself. Common as dirt. I think it fits a Honda of some sort.I'm expecting a couple of the Yamaha pickups in the mail this week and if you want I could send you one. Won't even charge you the $0.64 tax.

I honestly don't know what would happen. It's possible it might work, but going from past experience on floating inputs (avionics world), they tend to quit working when one side is grounded. And you'd have to ground one side of the input at the box to get a complete circuit.
Disregard.

Last edited:

honestly don't know what would happen. It's possible it might work, but going from past experience on floating inputs (avionics world), they tend to quit working when one side is grounded. And you'd have to ground one side of the input at the box to get a complete circuit.
Would depend on whether the pick-up was sinking or sourcing and what the box wanted.

Would depend on whether the pick-up was sinking or sourcing and what the box wanted.
Yeah.... but since the box is designed around a floating input, it's prolly best to stick with what it was designed for.
Disregard.

Last edited:
If need be nylon screws. I about to order on of those myself. Common as dirt. I think it fits a Honda of some sort.I'm expecting a couple of the Yamaha pickups in the mail this week and if you want I could send you one. Won't even charge you the $0.64 tax.

Yea those dam taxes get ya every time.........your so generous......:cool:

Got me some Nylon screws for when i got the type A Automotive regulator........before i know now, what i didn't know then.....

Back