TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Last line should read 70-79 points bike. 80 was a TCI iggy.
I knew that. Too many things going on.
upload_2020-6-21_17-10-42.png

Outstanding Dude. Here are some stills. Great comparison of stock vs Gonzo

View attachment 170369
Thank you.
Big Kudos to you for all your work and creative thought.
And to Jim and others for contributions.
I imagine some day all of my XS650's will have a Gonzo.

I put about 100 miles this am on my '83 with the Gonzo box installed. It performed flawlessly.
Temps in the upper 80's.
Started up on the first kick every time.

Received GN box #3 in the mail today.
Bought it from an EBay seller.
The numbers on the meter are exactly what the other boxes gave me; it is grounded, too.

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of troubleshooting/repairing an issue with my '75, but I just had to wire up the Gonzo box to try it out before returning to the '75 work.
The space under the seat of my '83 was quite a tight fit for the GN, so I temporarily put it in the toolbox with rubber around it.
View attachment 170363
View attachment 170364
The bike started up easily with the GN, idled smoothly, all per usual.
I took it out for a short ride (more later today) and I had trouble recognizing any difference with the OEM TCI , but It did seem a bit peppier. Smooth acceleration.
This is with the untweaked OEM TCI; the engine was warmed up.
This was the first start-up with the GN box.
The engine was warm.

DANG Dude - that sounds absolutely excellent!

Pete

Long shot.... if anyone picked up a case of these magic boxes, I'll happily buy one off you. I fried my Pamco yesterday and need an ignition system sooner that august.

Last edited:
When the pickup coil is sitting over the magnet, roughly how many degrees from TDC is the rotor?

Reason: I am trying to get a feeling for how long the dwell time is and how the Gonzo is working. CDIs do not need dwell time and TCI circuitry is simplified a lot regarding dwell time if a high resistance ignition coil is used e.g. 3.5 Ohm or greater. Boyer uses a 0.6 Ohm coil so it must have a true dwell time routine programmed in, otherwise it would burn out.

Boyer uses a 0.6 Ohm coil so it must have a true dwell time routine programmed in, otherwise it would burn out.
Just a quick look around the net it appears the Boyer is a CDI hence the low impedance coil. Cdi dwell is however long the the pulse is.

And on the subject of relay coils, look for a Volvo 2 or 7 and in the dash behind the ashtray is a bank of relays. The fuel injection pump relay sitting on my desk seems pretty hefty. (yes I know how the British feel about Volvo drivers).

As my Welsh bartender buddy used to say.
Iechyd da.
Jack

Permanent Pigtail Time. Say that fast ten times....
Connectors from Vintage Connections showed up a bit ago. They have 2 types... latching and non-latching. Hedged my bets and ordered both.
Big shout out to these guys.....shout out.png
..... these things are first class all the way. The link I just gave is for the latching 6 pin. If you need the 8 pin, go back to their front page and it's there.

pigtail1.jpg

pigtail2.jpg

So I built the pigtail using the latching type. The latch catches just fine on the igniter box, but the latch won't catch on the bike harness side. They're just enough different to not work. No matter, simply slip a tie-wrap around the ends of the connectors and they ain't going anywhere. Made it 12" long so's I have options for where to permanently mount it.
So here's the odd part.... with the newest box... the one with the trigger grounded on one side, it wouldn't start. All it would do is pop and kick back. Yeah... too much advance. Hooked the old(er) box back up... the one with the floating trigger and it started just fine. If you'll remember, that's the box where the advance was acting up for 30 secs or so. Still doing it, and I didn't need a strobe to see it. Give it a little gas and at about 2500 rev's it would suddenly jump to about 3500 when the advance jumped past 40-45 deg. So... I'm still leaning toward believing that box is bad. Anyways.....
Put the grounded trigger box back in and still no start, just kickbacks. Swapped trigger pins (polarity) on the pigtail and it fired right up. No wonky advance, just smooth acceleration as it should be.
Took the SG out for a 30 min sunset ride and she behaved just fine. Now I need to figure out a permanent location and get it all tied together. Guess I'll order another box for a spare, but right now my TCI box is still installed... so I can always hook that one up if the GN dies out on the road.
So... question for all you guys currently holding a GN box. Is this box I have the only one with a floating trigger? Anyone else have a floater, or are they all grounded?

EDIT: I also added a wire to the advance trigger output so I can play with different resistors if needed.

Last edited:
EDIT: I also added a wire to the advance trigger output so I can play with different resistors if needed.
Maybe one of TM's LED Timing lights on the open coil to terminate it?

Looking hard at the "Golden Screw". Was worried it might be too close to the left side of the opening but went out and lined it all up . Just by a hair or two.

Back