TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Larry, when you first started your bike, did the advance go bonkers like it did in my first videos?
Didn't seem to. I started it a couple times and then checked the timing. It retards a bit with throttle but then advances normally with roll on. Will check as instructed.

Jeff has -2- 3 boxes... all are grounded.
Steve has 1 box (dissected).... grounded.
Jack has -1- 2 boxes......................... Floating (rechecked)
Jim has 1 box........................... grounded.
Jim has 1 box (dissected)... ....... floating.

Perhaps incorporate bullets into the pigtail.
Yeah... would be easy enough to do, but that brings us back to needing to add a resistor across the advance coil. Again, not a deal breaker... just something I figured to avoid.... and we still need to verify that works.
Since it's lookin about half and half on the boxes, we could all tally up and ship back and forth to each other so we all have the same types.. be it grounded or floating. :rolleyes:
That's half in jest... but might not be a bad idea.

pickup mounting.jpg pickup flying height.jpg

The top screw is the brush holder. The second screw is 30mm in the middle between the centerhole and the pickup opening. The pickup mount hole need to be wallowed out for adjustment.

Last edited:
Yeah... would be easy enough to do, but that brings us back to needing to add a resistor across the advance coil. Again, not a deal breaker... just something I figured to avoid.... and we still need to verify that works.

Are you seeing the "SA" with the floating box ?

so with the floating units are you saying to swap both pickup leads?
Yours is working Larry, so just let it be. :)
I'm working up a pigtail for the floating boxes right now, including the resistor. Once I test it I'll put another diagram up.

Jack, you and Steve wanted to try a 5-10k resistor from the advance signal to the trigger common. Since that was before we knew the trigger was floating, I'm thinking now we need to run it to chassis ground instead. If we dump that back into the floating signal, it'll still be there. If we dump it to the frame, it shouldn't ring back through the idle signal, it should dissipate instead. Thoughts?

Jim, I get the same thing. (sorry for the orientation, but I cannot get it to load up correctly...)
View attachment 170525
So yours is a floater too Jake.
I've made up a pigtail with the trigger lines reversed back to the way my floater was wired and working before. I added wire from the advance trigger and a 10k resistor (variety pack showed up today). Right now the resistor is run to the chassis ground. But I hedged my bets and added wires so I can re-run it to either side of the trigger input. Gotta keep the peace with the neighbors.... so no testing tonight. Also all the stuff to build my Nexus O-scope showed up today. More geek stuff to work on. Wohooo... :geek:

10k 1.jpg

10k 2.jpg

Update:
@Jim: 80SG Direct TCI swap....................................Runs normally. (grounded trigger) Miles since install 100
@azman857 80SG Originally TCI/Pamco................ Runs normally. (grounded trigger) Miles since install 10
@YamadudeXS650C 83 Special. Direct TCI swap.. Runs normally. (grounded trigger) Miles since install 10
@2XSive 81 Bobber. Direct TCI swap...................... Runs normally. (grounded floating trigger) Miles since install 10

Back