TCI to points conversion

hobbyjp

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 83 special with a TCI. I have tried to repair the TCI by replacing the transistor and it still doesnt work. I want to get this running the cheapest and easiest way possible. I have a points cam bolt and found a points plate with advance. I can get them for around 30 dallors. can I use the TCI coil with a ballast resistor for these points? Is there a cheap replacement for the condesnor? Also will a xs400 points plate and advance work with a xs650? is there anything else that I might be missing? Thanks everyone

TCI not working on an 83 model. Try removing the Sidestand Relay, since that will disable the TCI if the sidestand limit switch or neutral switch is defective. Wiring colours are red/white, blue/yellow, black/white and black.

Pamco pete's ignition might be better than going to points. The TCI is the best if you can get it to work but you don't want to downgrade to points.

I dont want the pamco pete ignition. I said cheap. Points arent a downgrade if you know how to set them and maintain them. You cant get a replacement electronic ignition in the middle of no where. points will get you home

When was the last time the electronic ignition on your car failed? I can't even remember the last time I touched the distributer on any modern car.

If you go to points you will have to buy the advance rod and bushings, a points plate, (you will have to find a second hand one ) and an ATU unit, the single points lobe cam and the 17-6822 coil will keep the cost down and you can run a spare set of points and a spare condenser on the bike.

It would be as cheep to buy the pamco 14-0902 system as it would be to set up the points as i described above so it depends on your preference

Back