TCI Vs Pamco?

madeindetroit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Building a bobber and want to have as minimal parts/wiring as possible.

I guessing the answer is to go Pamco but I don't know how much more of a pain it would be to keep TCI.

It seems that the PO just replaced everything and put a new rectifier and stator on the bike.

End goal would be to run on battery, or just a real small one and hide it.

Is the TCI a pita to run wires for?

Both are no big deal to wire. The TCI setup has worked great for many years, but they aren't getting any younger.

The Pamco has very little wiring. Most of which is near the coil. The TCI has to be in an open area to stay cool and a larger bundle of wires. The Pamco would be a better bet to simplify and it can run on a small amount of voltage, just in case. The TCI needs that full 12v all the time. I run a TCI and have no problems, when it dies I'm going Pamco. I have a Pamco on my Honda and its great.

If you want to run completely without any battery, I recommend a PMA/ CDI kit from
www.powerdynamo.de
This kit includes a new stator, a new rotor, voltage regulator/rectifier, and coils.
The ignition is a CDI, and needs no battery at all. Also, the ignition is triggered from the flywheel, so no need for the mechanical advance mechanism and housings etc. So then you can use the smaller, lighter, sleeker racing style camshaft caps from Mule, Hoos Racing or MikesXS
A buddy of mine has a kit like this on his -75 RD 350, and it works great. Easy starting, good charging. No more carbon brushes etc.

I am building mine with a "Powerdynamo" PMA, and "Ignitech" crankshaft triggered ignition. This because I want the option to rephase later. The "Ignitech" black box has 2 channels, so can handle any crank rephase angle, 270, 277, 180 or whatever you like. The advance curve is freely programmable from a laptop, so can be tweaked to any requirement. It also has the capability for rev limiter, shift light control etc...

I'd say that a Morris mag is a bit like burning money...Still breaker points, and a HUGE ugly lump on the engine. The same buddy that has the RD also has a Commando 850, which at one time had a Morris. A big, heavy, ugly, unreliable piece of S#%t if you ask me. Extremely prone to shorting out when it rained. Which it does quite often in Norway...He now runs a Pazon ignition on this Norton (Pazon is made in New Zealand, so is 100% weatherproof)

The Ignitech module sells for 120Euro, then you need 1 or 2 pickups. Coils will be needed anyway, be it for a Pamco, OEM breaker points etc. Going to Pamco from TCI may also require different coils, but I am not 100% sure.

So if one needs to buy the mechanical advance mechanism, then a Pamco, then a couple of coils, I think you have spent the same as for an Ignitech setup.

Upgrading to PMA is another different deal, but the same applies, the cost of a PMA setup+Pamco+Coils+Advance mechanism will be more or less the same as the Powedynamo with integrated CDI. Which has the advantage of no mechanical advance system in the first place.

I appreciate that Pamco is a great direct replacement for points, and Pete surely has contributed a lot to keep all our XS'es on the road, but going from TCI to Pamco seems to be a step backwards, IMHO.

For those wanting to go batteryless, then they are more or less are left with two choices, Pamco+a big capacitor, or a Powerdynamo CDI.

If you make good money, save it and one day you can say "Take this job and shove it", which is worth a whole suitcase of Morris magnetos. Or to put it another way, keep it stock.

Started mine up after sitting for a couple of weeks, just to warm her up and get the cobwebs out of the exhaust. Turned the key on to see 10 volts, kicked her once and the system lit up, kicked her twice and got a cough. Third time she caught and idled for a few seconds. 4th time she was running and warming up both headers. Stock TCI. Electric start was not going to do the trick with that low voltage.

Not so much a peformance difference as a reliability thing. All TCI's are 30 years old and not getting any newer.
The TCI needs better voltage to fire than the Pamco. Either will work with a stcok TCI coil, putting a hotter coil on either will give better performance.
On your build wiring either way is simple. If your TCI is working then use it. If not then the Pamco.
If the charging system craps out and you already have the Pamco, swap to a PMA. This and the Pamco can run off just a capacitor to really simplify things.
Leo

Mike's #17-6803 is a bit hotter than the stock TCI coil. Next step up is #17-6810, the Green Monster coil. His # 17-6903 Ultimate Coil is his hottest coil.
The Green Monster coil is a bit more sensitive to an unhooked plug wire or poorly grounded plug when checking spark. The Ultimate coil resists this much better than the Green Monster. And a bit cheaper.
If I was needing a new coil then the #17-6903 is the one I'd get.
Leo

Back