Technology.....so freakin hard to keep up!

Was thinking about this while shoveling the lastest gift from the heavens this morning.
You realize they were looking at traffic in and out of your router? DID THEY HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT? Scary stuff. Hope you don't have an expectation of privacy when sitting on your couch.

Believe me I understand the scary part. I told my wife the iPad is irrelevant , the scary part is they think that our router was used.
No they didn’t have a search warrant. They showed up at the door and said they were doing an investigation and wondered if they could ask us a few questions. We mistakenly assumed that something must’ve happened in the neighborhood and they were looking for information. Then when they started asking questions about us, we got freaked out. They never asked to look around, they didn’t want to take anything. They also didn’t leave any business cards, they never asked us what our names were, and they didn’t introduce themselves. It was all very unsettling.

You realize they were looking at traffic in and out of your router?
Probably not. There is theft prevention software that tracks your devices whereabouts periodically. This comes loaded on lots of stuff, don't know about Apple, but you have to click something to opt in. When it becomes stolen, notify them and they'll give you information about it, including the ip address of the wireless it's been leeching I suppose. Don't know what would make that particular device so important to the authorities -- hope there's no killer living next door.

Last edited:
The TCP/IP packet headers include the device addresses in the trafficking chain, which would include yours. Someone, at a remote site, decoding suspicious traffic, would find yours in the chain. Contact the NSA for more info...:yikes:

The TCP/IP packet headers include the device addresses in the trafficking chain, which would include yours.

OK, OK, OK.....I have a PhD in engineering and you lost me at the word “The”.

Granted, it’s in mechanical engineering but how the heck do you know this stuff 2M?

Gads, I'm getting pummeled out here. All day long, scam/spam/phishing. By phone, email, messaging. I'm in overload mode. I guess it comes from buying things on the net.

Imagine you're a fish in a nice, quiet pond.

Suddenly, someone announces that the pond is stocked! Hundreds of fishing boats arrive, thousands of baited hooks drop overboard.

All operated by robots...

Oh I know. My wife and I have been talking about our ever escalating cable TV costs. Not counting what we pay for Internet , we pay about $100 a month just for cable TV with NO premium channels. I am just about ready to go all Troglodyte and cut the cable, put a good old fashion TV antennae on the roof and get whatever TV stations that we can get for free. Hell, when I was a kid we had exactly FIVE stations, and they went off the air at midnight.
image.jpeg

Remember how every time a plane flew over your house the picture would get snowy? And how you used to have to constantly adjust the vertical hold on your set to keep the picture from rolling? And how if you had a little brother (me) you used to make him hold the rabbit ears in the best position to get a signal?
image.jpeg

Ahhh the good old days. I sure do miss them!

Oh I know. My wife and I have been talking about our ever escalating cable TV costs. Not counting what we pay for Internet , we pay about $100 a month just for cable TV with NO premium channels. I am just about ready to go all Troglodyte and cut the cable, put a good old fashion TV antennae on the roof and get whatever TV stations that we can get for free. Hell, when I was a kid we had exactly FIVE stations, and they went off the air at midnight.
View attachment 113302
Remember how every time a plane flew over your house the picture would get snowy? And how you used to have to constantly adjust the vertical hold on your set to keep the picture from rolling? And how if you had a little brother (me) you used to make him hold the rabbit ears in the best position to get a signal?
View attachment 113303
Ahhh the good old days. I sure do miss them!

I cut cable a while ago as I got tired of being screwed by Comcrap...........only ballgame in town and they rape you. Hell I had to keep the net and even that is to much for me........Got a ROKU and stream a lot of stuff and also a simple antenna and it gets 24 channels or so.

I have a monster 16' amplified Yagi antennae atop a tower, with a rotator.
TowerAntennae.jpg

You learn things having to hold rabbit ears just the right way.

I get Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, others, and the occasional across-the-border stuff. Over 80+ over-the-air HDTV channels. TV overload...

England back in the 70's. You had 4 channels... BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4. Life was simpler. You did other stuff.... like explorin' the limits of your 68 Triumph Bonneville.

This just in:

Your smart TV may be prey for hackers and collecting more info than you realize, 'Consumer Reports' warns
Jefferson Graham, USA TODAYPublished 6:00 a.m. ET Feb. 7, 2018 | Updated 3:38 p.m. ET Feb. 7, 2018

636524900539955437-Element-RokuTV-HERO.jpg

LOS ANGELES — Buyer beware. If you’ve snapped up a smart TV, with built-in Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and other Web connections, heads up on this warning — your smart TV could make you vulnerable to hackers and is probably monitoring more of your viewing than you realize.

Consumer Reports just analyzed smart TVs from five big U.S. TV brands — Samsung, LG, Sony, TCL and Vizio — and found several problems. All can track what consumers watch, and two of the brands failed a basic security test.

How bad is the security? So poor, according to its report, that hackers were able to take over complete remote control of the TVs from Samsung and TCL's branded Roku TV, which included changing channels, upping the volume, installing new apps and playing objectionable content from YouTube.

"What we found most disturbing about this was the relative simplicity of" hacking in, says Glenn Derene, Consumer Reports' senior director of content.

Back