Test starter off bike?

cjrenick

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the starter when it is off the bike? Not sure if problem is the starter, starter button, or something else.

Easy, wrap a wire from a battery -terminal to the starter body(or rest the bolt flange on the -terminal) & with a wire from the battery+,then just touch the starter motor terminal, it should then spin :thumbsup:

Thanks, I knew there had to be a way. I use to do something similar on my camaro, but with a screwdriver between starter and +.

cj....,

Be sure to wear safety glasses when you do the test. If the motor is shorted or you fumble the wires from the battery, you could have a face full of acid.

Use a set of jumper cables so the battery is a few feet away from you when you make contact with the motor. The sparks from the contact with the motor could also ignite the hydrogen gas from the battery vents.

I would guess that you could take it to the auto part's store and have them test it like they do a car battery. Just a thought.

Some parts stores have testers for starters. Used to anyway. The tester checked the current draw as well as it just turning. When you have the starter off the bike it takes 35 amps to spin the starter. It's hard to measure that with just a set of jumper cables. On the bike turning the engine at 300 rpm it can draw up to 75 amps. Another thing hard to check.
Leo

Last edited:
hi you can clamp the starter in the vice,,,,, and use the battery charger to check the starter motor ,,,,regards oldbiker

Oldbiker, that is exactly what I did. It would spin so now I guess I will chase the problem. Will it be the solenoid or the starter button. What is the best way to check?

Once you get the starter back on with a good cable, clean connections at starter and relay. Good cable and conections from relay to battery rig two jumper wires, plug one jumper in the blue/white wire on the relay, hook this jumper to ground. Hook the other jumper in the red/white wire on the relay. touch this jumper to battery positive. If the relay is good this will spin the starter and turn the engine. If not try a new relay.
Now hook the relay wires in the bike where they go. Try the start button. Does this spin the relay? If not there is two possible reasons. no power on the red/white, check voltage at the red/white at the relay. if voltage there then the start button don't work. Open up the right side housing.
With a jumper from ground touch it to the blue/white wire, is this spins the starter then the button needs cleaning or the handle bars have a bad ground.
Do a these tests and report back.
Leo

XSLeo, Thanks for the reply. Hope to have the motor back in the bike in the next week or two. Will give it a try once everything back together.

Back