Testing forks

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys. I just wondered what the best way is for testing / checking the condition of the front suspension / forks? Is there a good way of getting an idea if they're doing the job they're supposed to? I'm going to strip and service mine before it goes on the road but I have no idea how to check their performance to know if things need replacing / servicing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Not much goes wrong inside the forks. Basically, just tear them down, clean all the parts real well, and reassemble. Replace any seal that leaks and I prefer to use real fork oil. There are several things you can do to improve these forks. Use more oil than stock (about 7 ounces instead of just under 6), do the Minton Mods to the damper rods, and use aftermarket progressive springs. Icing on the cake would be the addition of a fork brace. They really help on the 650.

Either on or off the bike, plunge them a few times. there should be noticeable resistance and little bounce, you can feel the damping action if they are working. I just did the plunge test on a pair off the bike, I could easily tell the difference between the two with the side with a leaky seal feeling "sprongy" most likely from lack of oil. It's on the rebound where you feel and maybe even hear the difference as the oil squirting through the little holes slows the action.

Back