That elusive weak spark

dmq136,

1. If you have three pins in addition to the two that come with the rod, then, yes, you have two spares.

This is the one that people miss:

atu3.jpg

2. There is no precise way to measure the torque on the spanner nut. Just tap it all the way around with a punch, like, don't smash it, but a good firm hit with the hammer will do it.

3. Mikes advance rod is 0.5mm longer than a stock rod. If you find that objectionable, I can send you a 0.5mm spacer.

4. The gray wire will withstand engine temperatures, so you can route it out in between the cooling fins.

pamcopete,

Thanks for the response!

As for the spacer, unless you recommend it, I am fine with the 0.5mm play. As long as it doesn't interfere with the operation of the hall sensor, I won't worry about it.

I really appreciate your help and insight!

-Thank you

Finally installed everything. The old jalopy fired right-up! The Pamco system is a dream come true! :thumbsup: Just need to fine tune the timing with a timing light (for now I statically set it and all sounds pretty good).

Does the right side, generally, run hotter than the left?

Thanks all - especially pamcopete!

Fast forward to today:

Once, I set the timing with a timing light, the bike still ran terribly. Decided to adjust cam chain tension, valve clearance, and finally sync carbs (thanks pamcopete). All went well and the bike still ran rough. Then I cleaned the carbs twice more (finally achieved the "thorough" cleaning and right float height). Ended up setting the float height wrong (cursed chilton repair manual :mad:) - gas was coming out everywhere :banghead:. Finally managed to set float height right the second time (thanks to the carb guide, again). Re-synced carbs and the bike has never ever ran this well in the time that I have owned it (4 years).

Again thanks to all for your insight. Guess that I should have chased the simplest problem first :shrug:. Oh well - live, learn, and ride.

That's awsome to hear you straightened things out. I just installed a pamco and kicked over first time. That's after a engine overhaul and carb overhaul. I hope mine runs as well as yours does.

Back