That pesky brake master cylinder snap ring

aldo5468

Redleg
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So it's above freezing in my garage, I'm rebuilding the front caliper and master cylinder on the '82 XS650 I bought this time last year, and Mike's XS hasn't got the tool in stock that reaches way, way down into the master cylinder to grab that idiotically placed snap ring. I just got a Grainger 4YP51 tool that looked promising in the picture on the website, but have to grind on the arms so much to get it to reach the bottom of the well that it may not have the strength left to close up the snap ring. Any other tricks out there? File my teeth to sharper points?:banghead:

Make sure both prongs go all the way through the holes and are against the metal of the cylinder. Then as you begin to squeeze, push down too, to help keep the prongs in the clip holes. Then lift out. When you put it back together, go all the way around the clip several times pushing down with a little flat blade screwdriver, to make sure the clip is well seated in the groove.

I found that turning it, while still in, helps free it up a little. Mine wouldn't compress for anything due to corrosion, but once I rotated it a little it really helped. However, I had to make a tool. The pliers I bought wouldn't squeeze it enough. So I used 2 nails ground down and attached to pliers.

Thanx to all for such quick responses and good advice. I never much liked buying such specialized tools for very rare use, but sometimes ya just gotta, I guess, especially when you're working on a life-or-death system. Ten bucks is cheap insurance to get the job done right. I'm thinking about Vesrah pads - any yays or nays out there? TIA

About the most highly recommended I've seen are the Ferodo Platinums from 650 Central. Give him a call and pick his brains. His other business is Vintage Brake so he knows all about this stuff.

There has to be another way to get that snap ring out besides buying that $15 tool. Any suggestions?

I actually use a punch. I put it in the hole on the end of the clip and pry it away, out of the groove. When one end is out of the groove I then run another punch under it, holding it still with the first punch. Once I get enough free of the groove I grab it with needle nose forceps and pull it out. You don't reuse it so it doesn't matter that it gets boogered up. Just becareful not scratch the sides.

The tiny really long needle nose work just fine typical set of 6 for $6 at harbor freight. I use em all the time. Grind the ends to fit the task at hand, buy more later.

image_17642.jpg

I tried to use pliers like the above but being half-round, the one that would fit in the holes didn't have enough steel to k eep from just bending. I used snap ring pliers from HF which were just barely long enough, but worked. Once you have it back in, push around it a couple times with a little screwdriver, to make sure it's fully seated.

Back