The big picture, my basket case 75'

August

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Here are some current photos of my 75'

Procured for free, and titled (which is a big win for me) here it is in all of it's barn dust covered glory.

DSC_0001 by Hachi Gatsu, on Flickr

Here's the gas tank. I found the keys and took a peak inside. Rusty. Its fixable, but kinda sucked. But this thing has been sitting since 86', so what do you expect. I want to fix those dents, I know it won't effect the gas too much, but I'm not that much of a fan of filler.

DSC_0015 by Hachi Gatsu, on Flickr

DSC_0002 by Hachi Gatsu, on Flickr

DSC_0003 by Hachi Gatsu, on Flickr

The rear tire still holding air, though the front, still holding, wasn't as full. Rims and spokes look good, just need a washing.

DSC_0013 by Hachi Gatsu, on Flickr

Right now though my main concern is that seized engine. If it was still on the bike I might be able to break it free. I'd re-mount it but the previous owner forgot where he put the attaching hardware. If I need to find a new engine then so be it, though rather use that one.

Thinking of keeping the engine stock, maybe a new head (if I can swing it) so I can have the bigger cooling fins, also plan on putting on a spin-on oil filter. Not going to get too crazy with this thing due to low funds and that this is my first bike, so a 750 may not be user friendly. Going with a new exhaust and high flow air filters, that's about it for performance parts. Also I keep hearing idea's on better ignition, always good to know about.

I'll be taking stock of the parts I'll keep and the parts I won't. Those I don't want I'll post in the classified section of the board when the time comes.

I got a lot of work ahead of me, but I can't wait for the end results! :bike:

Looks like a fun project! The 750 kit makes a slow bike little bit less slow, so it will not be too much for a beginner. The pamco is a good ignition system, and don't forget to jet up the carbs to match the increased airflow.

Yeah, my dad mentioned I should keep an eye on my jet settings for now depending on what I'm building. I think I might stick with a 650 but procure (over time anyway) parts for a 700 or 750 build should I want to go faster.

Jet your carbs to the year of the carb , the carbs jetted for thr 650 will work as well for the 750, if you cange the headers for larger ones and free flowing exhausts you may have to rejet then,
Buy new motor mounts from fleabay, (always for sale there), or ask here in the classified's, GGGary, or patches, The dent on the tank could be taken out without the paint being damaged, there is a system that dosen't require painting, although is more expensive

Is there a link? Because otherwise I was planning on the ol' spot weld on a bolt and use a slide hammer.

I plan on a repaint, not sure if you can see but it has some major scratches and missing patches. This thing looked like it was tipped over a few times while in storage. As much as I'd like to restore this thing to its former glory, I've seen enough restored 75's to know that the look isn't quite what I want.

I don't know if anyone else played (or still plays this) game, but I was putting around on my PS2 playing Tourist Trophy and happened to build a bike (a Yamaha no less) to whereabouts to what I want mine to look like. Short of the seat color (may be going with a different colored leather...depending if I can still get it), that's how I plan on building mine.

Tourist Trophy pics 014 by Hachi Gatsu, on Flickr

If you arn't concerned with saving the paint then do the bolt trick. Looks to be in good shape for its age.

The engine out of the frame and seized, tear it down and rebuild. To get bigger cooling fins you replace the cylinders not the head.
Mike's has two big fin cylinder kits, one a stock 650 size, the other a 750. I rebuilt my 75 as a 750.
I did some mild head work as a 650 and intake and exhaust upgrades Got it running well. When I did the 750 kit I did no rejetting of the carbs, well actually I thought I would need to and spent a couple weeks playing with the carbs and ended up right where I started.
The engine size has little effect on carb jetting, the intake and exhaust have major effect.
Leo

Is there a link? Because otherwise I was planning on the ol' spot weld on a bolt and use a slide hammer.

I've heard of what he was talking about too. Look up "paintless dent removal". I saw it on TV when it first came out. There were lots of special hand tools and they wouldn't let them film them actually performing it. They didn't want to give away instruction for free, because there was a school where you went to learn it.

I had a similar dent in nearly the same location. I just stuck a long tire iron inside the tank through the filler and levered it against the edge of the filler. The dent popped out almost completely, leaving me just a couple of small fills with bondo.

Back