The dreaded phone call. Having a great day until the phone rings...

Car crashes are a perfect example.

If you want to put around a scooter under 30mph around your neighborhood or city, and you just want to wear a 3/4 helmet...thats fine, but just because your riding slower doesn't mean you should ride anymore care free.

Posted via Mobile

Yup. I just read about a guy on a Puch (moped) who wrecked with a car at an uncontrolled residential intersection not far from my house a few days ago. police blotter said he had a 3/4 helmet and "sustained substantial facial injuries", though not life-threatening. also sounded like he had been drinking. between the moped and the street he was on I doubt he was going more than 30. it doesn't take much.

MT, your last sentence there does not sound good. If it means what I think, I'm very sorry.

Thanks, RD. He was improving enough that the best head trauma hospital in the state sent him to (drum roll) Kaiser. On the way there he had a massive stroke. No one noticed and 3 days latter the decision was made to end life support.

If you think a full face helmet is too restrictive or somehow an infringement on your rights, think again. It could have saved my friend.

Ride in peace, brother.

MT, I'm beyond sorry to hear this, especially after having heard of some improvement. My thoughts are with you and those who cared about/loved your friend.

TC

Thanks, RD. He was improving enough that the best head trauma hospital in the state sent him to (drum roll) Kaiser. On the way there he had a massive stroke. No one noticed and 3 days latter the decision was made to end life support.

What I hate about hearing stuff like this is that while the family could possibly pursue malpractice against the doctor who made the call (and having this tragedy screw up one more life) there is really no recourse against the hmo who put the pressure on him to make that decision.

Very sorry for your loss. I've buried too many friends myself.

Wrap up time. What did I learn from this wreck? Screwing up, even just a little can take you out, no questions asked. Things to avoid at all costs?

How about taking the car to the last bar of the day (if you have to go to the bar at all) so you won't mind calling a cab and leaving the car overnight?

If you have to ride at night, don't wear sunglasses. It's dark enough without them!

Of course, wear a full face helmet. Try not to ride after dark.

Do everything you can to make it home safe. Every day above ground is special.

You'll never know how much you'll be missed.

Sorry to hear this news....it's especially hard when they start improving and then suddenly they're gone.

I have only been riding for a year but since day one I have always worn a full-face helmet, leather riding jacket, and SWAT-grade boots. People laugh at me because here in Texas it's a 106 degrees and I'm wearing a leather jacket, but I don't care. My brother was in a dirt bike accident and literally had the skin peeled off his back. He would've been killed without a helmet. That was scary enough.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news here, also. I guess we have all lost friends or known someone that has been badly injured in a bike accident, but all of life is a gamble.

Ironically, I just came off another Yamaha forum where my take on the topic was that a guy proclaimed that he just totaled yet a third bike in as many years and was looking to buy a much lighter, more powerful, full on SS bike this time, and that his riding skills have improved greatly with each accident. Haha! His intention is to become faster and faster even at the risk of losing everything. Wow!

What he doesn't understand is that riding like this on the street is putting others in harms way. Bikes can easily take out other bikes ...it happens, and anytime anyone crashes and requires medical attention it hurts every one of us in the long run. Even if he were fortunate enough to have only sustained minor injuries, the claims he has made on his wrecked bikes come with a huge price tag. Insurance companies have little choice but to raise premiums across the board to cover the costs of damages, so there again, we all pay for another's reckless behavior, and unfortunately not wearing the correct gear or helmet falls into that category, too.

May our brothers rest in peace!

Please ride safe, guys!

-Roger

Back