The Jap Slap build by Back Porch Choppers

Back Porch Choppers

Back Porch Choppers
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and a novice chopper builder. I'm currently building an XS 650 chopper for a friend. This is my first XS and only my second complete chopper build. This XS is to include a 700 big bore rephased engine built for us by Ryan @IronHeartCycles. As far as I can tell from the chart I found on this forum the frame is a 75-76 with an existing TC bros. hardtail. OK picture time!!!

Last edited:
This is what my bro found down in the Big Easy and gave me to start with.
IMG_20161014_205959.jpg

Pulled out the old stock XS650 engine (future build) and stripped this thing down to the bare bones. Got the rust and paint off. The I cut out the upper motor mount brace and neck/fork stop brace which I'll be replacing with a frame gusset and a windowed neck treatment for structural strength in the neck area. Well thats the current state of The Jap Slap.
Message_1482787504359.jpg
Message_1482792097302.jpg
IMG_20161227_140451.jpg
IMG_20161227_195710_287.jpg
IMG_20161228_121139_272.jpg

I do have a couple questions. 1 bike related and one forum related.

1) I was able to ID the frame from the chart on this forum however, how do I ID the year of the actual engine? I have not been able to locate any identification vin stamp on the motor?

2) Can I change my screen name? How?

Good looking bike! Keep at it and post lots of pictures. We like pictures.[/QU

I'm hoping my vision will turn out on this one as it did on my Triumph and people seem to dig it. I would post a pic and show off my work but I'm not sure how the mods here are and if the post would get delered or not?

hoooooooooooooweeeeeeeeee! you all done got down on it son! not that my simple, narrow opinion/vision mean anything.....nevertheless, I absolutley love the direction that your build is currently listing too. since i have taken this winter off from building i have the enviable positioin of cheering from the sidelines. love it, dig it, groovin on it, etc etc. keep it going man.... WRMDOVR

hoooooooooooooweeeeeeeeee! you all done got down on it son! not that my simple, narrow opinion/vision mean anything.....nevertheless, I absolutley love the direction that your build is currently listing too. since i have taken this winter off from building i have the enviable positioin of cheering from the sidelines. love it, dig it, groovin on it, etc etc. keep it going man.... WRMDOVR

The mach up pictured was the direction of the previous owner. It made no sense to me with the clip on bars high tunneled tank and forward controles. Seems like that would make for an uncomfortable riding position.
IMG_20161014_205959.jpg

My building style is 70s style roots chopper. This bike will be no different. Plans include frisco sporty tank, springer front end, sprung solo seat and puss pad with a sissy bar and flashy flaked out paint. I want to rake the neck and use the standered 16/21 spoke wheel set up but my bro wants the stock rake and current mag wheels, maybe I can atleast talk him into a lower profile front tire.

Last edited:
Back