The noob questions you love to hate!

OgCoda

Bikes.Boards.Brews
Reaction score
So I have been building bikes for a while now and I have come across an 81 hardtail roller for my wife. I have have done some searching and couldn't really find what i was looking for. So here are some of my questions.

1. Are the motor mounts the same from 70-84?
2. what are my best options for carbs (daily for wife)
3. what are some good aftermarket ignisions for the x650
4. has anyone done a PMA kit on there bike and if so how was it?

I know there is a search function on this site but I also would like to hear the ups and downs for these bikes and what to look out for? As of now i have a 81 frame lined up and a 79 engine. As far as i have figured the engines are very close to the same but the 70-79 has a points ignision and the 80-84 has a6 and 8 pin CDI... Any help would be rad.

1. no. 70-73 for one style, 74+ for the other
2. stock carbs are fine for a daily
3. Pamco is the best in my opinion, simple and reliable.
4. I used HHB for most of my PMA conversion, and couldn't be happier. I wish I would have done it a long time ago.
5. it is easier to install a Pamco on a points engine, because you already have the advance parts.

Sweet thanks alot guys! you nailed it! I'll be starting a build thread in the chopper section asap.

1. no. 70-73 for one style, 74+ for the other
To clarify, the engine mount points are the same. It's the mounting parts and the frames that are different. In particular, the front motor mount is different, everything else is the same.

Back