the oddest sound, I cant place it.

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
No video of course,

I just took my bike around the block for a spin to try my new 650central intakes. Awesome by the way. But there was this weird sound that sounded a lot like air rushing through the trees when its really windy. I figured intakes but when I pulled over and stuck my ear down there I got nothing, I can only hear it when the bike is in gear and running, neutral coasting or parked I got nothing, coasting with the engine off I got nothing.

I can only assume it has something to do with my engine being horrifically over due for a rebuild.

I would hazzard a guess that the cam chain guide has worn through - Quick check - whip your oil filter out and check for any signs of nylon and / or alluminium, also, drop the oil and sift through that for any of the above. What mileage / condition?

I had an 03' trailblazer that I built an intake for, in park or neutral all you could hear was engine noise but as soon as i put it in gear the thing sounded like a "lambo" according to my neighbor. I'm not sure why I couldn't hear the intake in neutral or park but I am 98% positive if you have a "whooshing through the trees" sound going on after you install new intake that, that's what it is....that's the noise they make lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like your bike is making the noise its expected to make with an upgraded intake....its actually a pretty cool sound IMO

To be certain tell me this tho...Is it most prominent right when you hit the throttle from idle? Also tighten up your carb boots and filters to make sure you don't have an air leak (that would be my other guess to the noise).

Anyway best of luck

oh so i was just in the back yard having a go and listening to it, it is somewhat apparent in neutral at idle. I wish I could say that it is the intakes but the sound seems most audible with my ear above and to the right of the motor.... maby thats just acoustics playing with me, i dunno. I'm just gonna ride the bastard anyways. The season is almost dont and its due for a top end rebuild so I'll take care of that when its winter. A few months ago when I did an oit change I did fine little metallic flecks on the drain plug so I figured the guide was worn through, but in subsequent drainings there has been no sign. If it goes bang it goes bang and Ill have to open it up sooner then planned..

I'd just adjust the cam chain, do a valve adjustment and set the timing. Seems like those three form the holy trinity of xs sound issues

Back