The Red Bike

Freekin insomniacs .

372cc + 6cc for the gasket + 15% of 6cc for 1cc + 47cc for the chamber-the dome 35cc

so where are we ? 408 cc max volume and 54 cc for the minimum

9.3:1 @ .050" piston to head clearance with out chamber welding .
10:1 @ .025" piston to head clearance with out chamber welding . absolute minimum clearance by the way and only attempted with fresh crank and rod bearings .
just cleaning the head .025" gains another full point .

rod small end bushings went in today with crank assembly due next week .

~kop

a few parts ?

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 149
  • Cover_rocker_shaft.JPG
    Cover_rocker_shaft.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 145
I am not soon going to forget that brain dead 20's something at Wiseco that told me the compression height was "proprietary"
Or Ross and J&E both wanting minimum orders of 8
~kop

Just a FYI: JE will do a minimum of two, but prefer 4. Ross, Arias and Diamond will do minimums of 4. CP will do a minimum of one, but they'll tell you up front it won't be cheap (like $400).

My head should be wrapped about up, and I'm having Arias make up a custom set (I'm keeping two and selling off the other two). One thing I've found dealing with the SR500, and I'm sure the XS is the same way, is that most aftermarket parts for these bikes were designed 25-30 years ago. Even the JE part number for the SR is an old Shell Racing design and goes back to the '80s. Camshafts are no different and same goes for any work concerning cylinder head modifications.

2.50-18 Borrani laced to KZ70B2 (twin) hub . 130/80-18 66P TT K180 . The 40 tooth sprocket is somewhat excessive :) .

Attachments

• 20150510_140845.jpg
    20150510_140845.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 20150510_140856.jpg
    20150510_140856.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 20150510_140916.jpg
    20150510_140916.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 310
a bit of work this afternoon ...

~kop

found the before pics .

Attachments

• 2into1.jpg
    2into1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 2into1_1.jpg
    2into1_1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 2into1_2.jpg
    2into1_2.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 2into1before2.jpg
    2into1before2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 2into1before1.jpg
    2into1before1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 2into1before.jpg
    2into1before.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I need to add that the clean up wouldn't have been possible without one amazing product .
http://www.ospho.com/
07000194-2T.jpg

Once the orange had been scraped away with a wad of aluminum foil and a wire brush for the hard to get spots it was off to the buffer with the usual assortment of compounds .

final finish was done with
http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/blue_magic/products/210/blue_magic_metal_polish_cream_jar/
metalpolishcreamjars.png

I also use the Blue Magic as a finish for the aluminum covers .

A brief word about polishing . Heat is your enemy , oil and grease not far behind . When changing from coarse to finer compounds it's better to change the mop with it rather than mix grits . Although most modern auto wax and finish products will not turn color within reasonable temperatures a few will go blue or amber with just normal engine heat . To this day the only thing I've found for protecting the pipes is the oily rag ;-) .

And last but not least I made a final mop from circles cut from a chamois and stacked onto a a die grinder cut off wheel arbor . Too large a circle and the chamois just winds up on the shaft . Too small a circle and the die grinder easily over speeds the cloth and it disappears at extraordinary velocities .

~kop

Last edited:
And last but not least I made a final mop from circles cut from a chamois and stacked onto a a die grinder cut off wheel arbor . Too large a circle and the chamois just winds up on the shaft . Too small a circle and the die grinder easily over speeds the cloth and it disappears at extraordinary velocities .

I would like to have been there for that experiment.
I never mix grits. When I gather enuf shtuff for polishing, I grab 3 wheels from harbor freight. A stick of grey, and brown, and white. The white really isn't needed for my bikes, But the mrs. always has some jewelry around that needs a quick shine.
Brown is usually good enuf.

"Too small a circle and the die grinder easily over speeds the cloth and it disappears at extraordinary velocities ."

I would like to have been there for that experiment.

So , I have these two Cp die grinders . One was an experiment into "porting the rotary air motor" . The usual hog out the passages and not so subtly alter the port timing so that the torque went away and the RPM was somewhere north of 25K . The other is near stock save for it usually wears the 3" cut off due to its torque .

So I built up a 2 1/2" mop out of 5 or 6 layers and stuck it in the 30K rpm die grinder ....

First trigger pull the mop exploded and for a instant I considered myself fortunate that the debris had somehow missed my face . I looked up to see a fair portion of the chamois wrap itself around a whip antenna and bend it near horizontal , directly away from me . In a near Warner Brothers cartoon moment I froze , waiting for the inevitable .

What didn't hit me full in the face ricocheted off into the air compressor belt guard , there to foul and dismount the belt with enough force to blow the guard off . The rest knocked my cigarettes off the the bench to be soaked by the last beer in the house also falling off bench .

it was worth telling

~kop

my friend was using a converted bench grinder for polishing, and the outlets was on the ceiling. Not paying attention, the part make the cord get into the wheel, and yanked it out of the outlet, whipping him twice in the back before he could get out of the way. A couple tokes later he was fine, and put a new plug on the cord and soldiered on

Back