The slow and unsteady VI swingarm bobber build

Regulator needs air flow don't mount it in the battery box notice it has fins for cooling it makes a bunch of heat. Petcock threads; pour out the red coat, use a tap to chase and clean the threads.

gggGary, isn't it the rectifier that has the cooling fins? Maybe I'm getting the regulator and rectifier reversed.

I'm going to mount the one with fins on the bottom of the battery box. Can I mount the other one in the box?

Posted via Mobile

My bad I flipped off an answer without realizing you said you had separate units. Best would be going to a modern, simple, reliable, combined regulator/rectifier. (outside the battery box) less wires too. Especially with a tiny battery, those old points type regulators can be a little unsteady on the voltage they deliver. 2 cents.

DTree,

I bought the tank from a member here, I think it's a Panic Cycles sporty tank. It's not a frisco style, it's about 3 1/2" deep at the front.

gggGary,

I plan in getting the combined reg/rec, maybe I should just get it now during the moc up rather than comin back to it later. Where's the best place to get that?

Posted via Mobile

New (to me) combined reg/rec onthe way. Thanks daddygcycles.

I'll be hookin this up with a new 8 pin connector from vintageconnections.com and mounting it under my new battery box.

I seem to remember reading that I need to unground my brushes when changing to this setup. If so, which screws do I replace with nylon on my brush assembly?

Posted via Mobile

While the wifey and kiddo were taking a nap yesterday afternoon I was able to get a few more thing done.

The tank is on and I ran the fuel lines. Installed the carbs and filters. Hooked up the wire harness and wired in the minimalist battery from 650 central and fired her up. The battery appeared to be charging to 15'ish volts while at full advance but dropped to 7-8 at idle. Ill have to work out that charging glitch. I have a reg/rec combo on the way so that will get installed later this week.

Next step is hook up my small headlight switch/kill switch combo, tail light and tidy up the wiring. I also have LED lisence plate screws that have the brake light integrated into them that will get installed at some point.

Ill try to post pics later this week of this old breathing.

Posted via Mobile

I mounted my fender with horizontal struts similar to a harley... its strong enough to support the weight of a passenger, so big pkus fir me. Keep up the good work, liking the style.

IMG_20130411_125649.jpg

Yesterday I messed with the wiring a bit and took her for a ride around the block, feels good to spin her around. However, I'm at a stand still trying to hook up the headlight/kill switch I purchased from 650 central. It didn't come with a wiring diagram and my bike has minimal wiring. Has anyone here used this style of headlight/kill switch that can give me any tips? I'm not sure which wires are for the headlight and which wired are for the kill.

I know it's a bad pic, but its the one from 650 central.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 150
Well, with a bit of searching I found a tread on the leaking that I was having. New copper washer and no more leak. Nice.

Now in to trying to figure out the headlight/kill switch.

Posted via Mobile

Today's update:

Spend a little more time trying to figure out the kill switch and all I managed to do is blow a couple fuses.

Next I spent a little time soft wiring in the lisence plate bolts with built in LED's to illuminate the plate. These bolts also have brake light in them, and that's where my current problem exists. The brake light comes on when hooked up to the brake light switch, but shuts off when I hit the brakes. :banghead:

Posted via Mobile

I'm not entirely sure which is which, but if I had to guess, I'd say switch power. Mainly because its just when I turn on the ignition.

Posted via Mobile

Doesn't really matter I guess, I dont remember why I asked... but sounds like a normally closed switch, which means power or ground flow through until the brake is pressed. This should be an easy fix, how many wires on your light? Stock, the switch should have power until the brake is applied... is ut the stock switch?

Im really tired today sorry man, trying to be helpful, hope im not confusing things worse.

Back